new light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a new light for my 36 bowfront. I am keep plants, mainly amazon swords, dwarf sag, anubias nana, and vals. What would be a good fixture that would not require me to get c02??

I am getting a new light for my 36 bowfront. I am keep plants, mainly amazon swords, dwarf sag, anubias nana, and vals. What would be a good fixture that would not require me to get c02??

Hello R...

I have a 45 G tall and use 6500 K bulbs, either T8s or 12s. For the plants you have, you don't need more than 40-45 watts. Your Sag and Vals are moderate light plants and the others need less light. A standard strip that accomodates two bulbs shouldn't be too pricey. A lot of mainline stores are running deals this time of year on tank stuff, check online.

Check with the local hardware stores for bulbs. They typically carry GE aquarium plant bulbs that are inexpensive and last up to a year.

B

T8s are nice, but I'm not sure that I would recommend T12s as they are really no much light. BBradbury said, none of those plants are particularly light heavy.

IMO, you could either get T8s or, if you can find them, T5NOs. That would be plenty of light for your purposes and not need CO2 (although I always recommend adding excel :D)

aqua_chem said:
T8s are nice, but I'm not sure that I would recommend T12s as they are really no much light. BBradbury said, none of those plants are particularly light heavy.

IMO, you could either get T8s or, if you can find them, T5NOs. That would be plenty of light for your purposes and not need CO2 (although I always recommend adding excel :D)

So like the aqueon t5 fixtures on petsmarts website that are designed for fresh water planted?

It never mentions ho. So they appear to be no fixtures. Would HO be or of the question? I also considered getting a current usa 2x24 fixture which us t5ho.

Back
Top Bottom