New Member and questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stormm_29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i joined this forum today because i needed other people to talk about aquariums with :ermm: . So anyways im "restarting" my 36g tank which has sat empty of fish for about 18 months now, in the past week ive filled it up and cleaned it. Nitrite, nitrate and Ammonia are all at 0, Ph is a steady 7.5. water temp so far is unknown due to a broken thermometer(dont ask). 1 of my 2 filters is down and looks to be totaled. So this tanks whole life has been a community tank but now i want to change things up.

I really like smaller African chiclids 4"-5". i also have my eyes on a featherfin catfish to go along with them, thoughts, questions, concerns?

Have you added any ammonia? You need that to get the cycle started. There is a how to page on here about cycling I'm pretty sure.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't have much experience with africans, but definitely look into shelldwelling cichlids! They're my first and only african cichlids in 12 years of fishkeeping and they're already among my all-time favorites after just a year. I have neolamprologous multifasciatus, but there are a few different species of shelldwellers and they can be kept with some other tanganyikan african cichlids.

If you decide not to do africans, I recommend trying some loaches! In a 36 you could build a tank around zebra loaches (botia striata) with a one-way flow filter system to simulate their river habitat. You could also do hillstream and brookstream loaches for something really different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom