New Member, green water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a silver dollar about 3 inches. And i used to have 2 3inch long bala sharks.

My brother offered to give me some convict cichlids. But i passed them up. They were about the size of a dime!

So the tank is all better now. Hasnt shown any sign of getting dirty, murky, or green since i switched it a few days back. Im really happy!

But i just noticed a white blotch on my silver dollars rear fin. Its nots ick, i know what ick looks like. My tank changes tempetures alot in one day. From about 79-85. I think its some sort of fungus... Any ideas. Im going to take another water sample in tomarow moring and ask the pet shop guy...

The silver dollar seems happy. Just goes back and forth in the tank all day.... But hasnt been eating really anything. I know he picks at the rocks when im not home. But he dosent just go after it during 'dinner' time. Im going to try switching foods as well. Cause ive been trying to use up all my betta food.

It could be a fungus of some kind, what I would do is google some terms like "aquarium fish fungus" of "silver dollar fungus" or something like that, try to find a picture that matches what is looks like so you can narrow it down and figure out what treatment would be best.

Your fish probably just got a little stressed, which is why you want to keep testing the water and figure out what you're going to do during PWCs to keep the pH stable. By the way, did you ever test your tap water and tank water before & after PWCs? What about ammonia, nitrite & nitrate tests?

Glad you got a handle on the green water. I used to get that all the time in high school, we had well water and I figured out that there was something in the water, in combination with the fact that my tank was next to a window, that would cause a green water bloom a few days after a PWC. What I did was get a Magnum canister filter and used the micron diatom cartridge along with some diatomacious earth (basically a pool filter) after each change and I never would get the green water. I still have it but never use it anymore, my Marineland C-360 always keeps the water crystal clear. I'm getting another old setup from a buddy of mine, and he had one to, so if you want one, I've got an extra I could sell you cheap.

I can see how it would be stressed with the whole green water. His 'friends' dieing, and the water changes.

I have fungus guard but i dont want to add it just yet cause it says to remove the carbon out of the filters, and do a 10 or 20 percent water change. I dont want to remove the carbon cause i just got a grip on the green water so i dont want to start messing with things and be back at square 1 again. U know? Plus I wont have time till this weekend to do a water change...well maybe. I just dont want him to die.

I still havent goten a water test kit. I really need to. I just put things off...:rolleyes: I can prolly get a PH test done tomarow. But it would again be a color one. Not an exact one.

I have already to many filters for the tank in it. But PM me an offer and we can talk about it.

Im going to google the fungus thing now. I used to work at a fish hatchery a few years back (should of stayed there) so i know a little about fish fungus and what not. Mostly the trout/salmon and sturgeon species thou...

So i got around today added some fungus guard to the tank and pulled the filters. Then i went to town and had them do another PH test and they tested my nitrates and the nitrites or watever there called aswell.

The PH tested slightly blue. A little high i guess, I asked and she said its around 7.5 - 8. I may do 2 quarter treatments to fix that. But the fish are acting fine so i may not. The nitrates, nitrites came out fine. The water stayed the normal color. I guess purple is bad. So now its the waiting game to see if my silver dollar kicks the bucket or survives.

Again thanks for all your help guys...

ph is fine, i wouldnt mess with it. A stable ph is much much better than a ph that bounces everywhere with you trying to get it to what somebody says is optimal for your fish.

Yea i know, every time i do a water change it will throw it off again. So as long as its semi-OK, im going to leave it!

Gah green water is back.... I think its the food i feed the fish... Back to square one again...

When you had Nitrates/Nitrites tested, did they test for ammonia as well?

Next time you bring in water, bring in some tap water as well and have them test the pH, ammonia, and nitrate on that as well.

How often have you been doing water changes, and how much?

Have you replaced or rinsed out any of the filter media?

From what I've read on those filters, there is only one part of the filter, it isn't broken up into a separate bio-section and a replaceable mechanical/chemical section. Is that correct? So when you pulled the carbon/filter part out to treat with the fungus guard, is there anything else still in the filter that houses the biological colony or is it just basically circulating the water?

rodney, hows it going? long time no see... so how long are you leaving your lights on now? how often are you doing pwc's and how much, how much do you feed and how often?

Floyd R Turbo- They didnt test the ammonia, i asked them why and the guy said 9/10 times its noticable with morts, ir-regular behavior or atleast burn marks on the fish

I can take a sample of tap water in the next time i go in. Ive just did about 4 water tests so far so i dont want to annoying him with water changes because usually when i go in there its packed.

Ive been doing about 20%(15 gallons of a 55 gal tank(to tired to do math)) water changes ever week or so, and i did a 50% a week ago when it started to show green again. It got clearer but 2 days later it was back to what it was to begin with.

Last time i changed, or cleaned the filter media was when i did the 50% water changed, covered the tank for 4 days, and then did another water change umm about a month ago. Im not really sure how to clean them. Althou i havent put much thought into it.

The filter has 2 parts to it a cloth part with carbon in it. And then the water goes throu a what looks like a spunge. Just not as thick. Kinda hard to explain. I have never cleaned those, they also never have been dirty since i set up the tank either. I did pull the filters when i put fungus guard in, i didnt clean them thou. As soon as the fish got better i put the filters back in. It was basicly circulating the water, maybe picking up water debri or what not.

mfdrookie516- Its going pretty good. Im waiting for winter lol :). I leave the lights on the tank for about 7-10 hours a day. It usually changes since my sleeping habbits change and i turn it on when i get up. Pre water changes i mentioned in the above paragraph. I feed them betta flakes once every week because they dont really eat them, more for the cory, and i feed them the alge waffers one or two a day. The fish go wacko over them. They really never touch the bottom, if the do the pleco are on them instantly. I feed them once when i wake up and usually once when i go to bed. I break them into about a dozen peices.

I have, in my 55 gallon.
4 silver dollars now (3 as big a quarter) (1 about 4 inchs long)
4 cory (2 elbino)(1 spotted)(1 green)
2 pleco (About 5 inches long each)

I was reading about a small fish that will eat the alge bloom, and i dont think any of my fish would bother them but maybe the cory (correct me if im wrong), so i may try that route. I dont want to do chemicals, and i dont want to stress them out with weekly 50% water changes unless i have to.

my suggestion would be to cut down on the light... if they get any sunlight from the room at all, there is absolutely no need for the light (other than for your personal viewing pleasure lol)... I would also suggest cutting down on feeding... Maybe feed once every other day... or at least just cut down to once a day, and only what they eat in 3 minutes time... Light and excess food are the two main ingredients needed for algae, looks like youve got both in my opinion

I can cut back on the feeding, I may also cover if for a few days then take the vaccuum and try to suck out the dead alge.

The reason i dont want to cover it and the reason i leave the light on is because i just got some live plants, and im waiting for them to sprout.

Echinodorus amazonicusi or amazon sword. I know they will eat them, im just curius on how they will look, and last. Kinda wanted to try something new. They have nibbled on the tips a little. But nothing major yet.

i have some in my 10g planted tank... they are super quick growers, and as long as they dont eat the roots, it'll grow back... cant hurt to try, and im sure the fish love the little snack they get lol

They either kept pulling them out or i didnt bury them deep enough to begin with. Cause they kept showing up at the top of my tank. O well i buried them better and they have stayed so far.

Im going to try a different chemical. I read online that the algae destroyer i bought was not for green water, Go figure. Anywho if this dosent work im going to..(tell me if its a good idea)

Set up a ten gallon, basicly just use the water from my 55 gallon and and let it sit a little while, then put all my fish in there for a day or so. Take my 55 and completly empty it. Scrub the **** out of it using the Bleach or what not that your suppost to use. Buy all new ornaments, gravel, filters and bubbler bs. (i want a new look anyways, more natural)(basicly start all over) Let that sit for a few days. (or what people recomend) then switch the fish back in. I know your not suppost to do it this way, but im really tired of this green water.:-| Any suggestions? or comments?

I just question whether or not you are constantly having a cycle going in your tank. If you medicated and removed the filters, if you didn't put them in circulating oxygenated water, then your bacterial colony will die off. If you let it sit in a bucket of water for >24 hrs, your tank will re-cycle when you put them back in.

I just think you need to get a test kit and test the water yourself, it's the only way to know if there's anything like that going on. A tear-down will probably not solve the problem, it may create more. Read this:

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

And specifically this excerpt:

Green water is free floating single-celled euglenoid protists. It contains chlorophyll a and b, plus carotenoids, giving them their green coloration, but they are not plants. With over 40 genera of Euglenoids and over 1000 species, this form of algae is one of the most abundant forms of life on the planet, and is an essential part of the food chain. Unfortunately, aquarists don’t want it in their tanks.
Cause:

• Initial Setup – Usually present shortly after an aquarium is initially setup, prior to the full establishment of the microorganisms (free-swimming plankton that feed upon it).
  • Nutrient Imbalance – Strive for the following nutrient levels: N (10-20ppm), P (0.5-2ppm), K (10-20ppm), Ca (10-30ppm), Mg (2-5ppm), Fe (.1ppm).
  • Medication – if the medicine affects the biofilter of the tank.
Cure :
There are a number of cures for green water:

• Blackout – leave the lights out, and block out any ambient light from the tank for 5 days. Your plants have reserves that the algae does not, so they will survive, but may look a little ratty for a week or so.
  • Diatom/Micron Filterfine particle filters can clear the water.
  • UV Sterilizer – zaps the algae with ultraviolet light, clearing the water. Some reports say that UV light also affects nutrients in the water column.
  • Flocculants – Clumps small particles together, allowing your mechanical filtration to remove them from the water. i.e. AquaClear
  • DaphniaPlaced in a breeder net, the daphia will consume the algae.
  • Small Water Changes – do small (5-10%) water changes, every day until clear.
Notes:

• Avoid large water changes, as that prevents microorganisms from establishing themselves.
  • In addition to the cures, make sure to identify and eliminate the source of the problem, or it may return.

I did pull the filters when i put the fungus guard in like a month ago. They were out of the tank for a few days. Resting ontop of the filters, so they kept damp.

I have all new filters to put in as soon as i need to.

I want to use the Dapnia idea, seems more practical. Im going to keep my eyes open for them.

I picked up some Tetra Algae Control.... Im going to try that. I really dont want to but its the cheapest fix, that might possibly work... I havent yet thou...

Im up for ideas...

Back
Top Bottom