New member, rejoining the aquatic world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teamgs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,
After 5 or so years, I have decided to pull my tank out of the garage, and start it up again as a tropical community tank. Since my gear is probably in the neighborhood of 15 years or so old, I was looking for any advice on "new technology", etc., and any general startup tips. I have already learned that my 2 powerheads with undergravel filter were probably not a good idea, and wont reactivate them! :) I have a 90 Gal tall tank, and an Aquaclear 110 filter. I forget the heater model but it was more than adequate at keeping the temperature regulated. The tank has the standard single bulb fixture on top, so even with my upgraded bulb, I think that I may be needing more light if I am to scrap the fake plants and go live. I am looking for easier to grow plants. The substrate that I had been using is generic small sized natural gravel. For structure, I have about 100 lbs of river rock that I collected from the local river, along with a relatively large piece of driftwood from the same river. These have been used in the tank since its purchase.

All suggestions welcome!

Regards,

Gary

If you want to keep live plants you want to aim the lighting between 1-2wpg, so you won't have to use CO2 and you'll want to buy low light plants. Other than that everything looks good to me.

well for the the new tank i'm sure you are aware of the penguin filters w/ bio-wheels, for being HOB's i think they are the best and with my extremeley overcrowded tank the bio-wheel helps keep the ammonia levels down as well as my constant upkeep on it, and of course there are the cansiter filters for larger aquariums...i dont know too much about those but i'm sure others are experts! :D

Thanks for the info! I was going to hit Big Al's and get the test kit for $13, and was wondering essentials I should get while I am purchasing.

Regards,

Gary

how big is the tank?
your powerheads can be converted to filter duty with some sponges..
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/pre-filthydro-sponge_filters.html
to avoid that cost if you want to avoid it..
and your other questions are alot to swallow all at once actually..LOL
the lighting is NO florecent from what im guessing.. it can be overdrivin for getting some more light for your plants...good thread right now below..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54881
and substrate..steve has some good posts near the end of this one..link below
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54857
the rocks from the local river...need testing..check the link below..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=55091
and a great guide for live plants!!
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Thanks for the tips all!

I believe that I misstyped when I listed my filter. It is an Aquaclear 300, the 110 is a newer model. The 300 is rated for 100 gal max, but it appears from recommendations here that they may be over rated regarding filtering capacity. I never had any problems with water clarity when using the filter and powerheads, however, but then I never really tested the water quality either! :D If this is absolutely not adequate, I have no problem replacing it, but I would prefer to try it again and see if it will perform adequately.

Thanks for all the links, lots to digest. :?

Regards,

Gary

The AquaClear 110 used to be the 500.. the 300 is good for a 60 gallon tank in my opinion.. If you put sponges on your power heads you should be fine for filtration..JMO though.. I know you said your heater is adequate enough but I would make to have at least 450 watts of heat plus...
Have a good time reading.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have to disagree with Blaze on the recommendation of the Penguin 350B HOB. The Emperor 400 is better because it has that extra grey (I assume they're still grey) cartridge for the filter which gives the filter some of that flexibility that the cannisters have. I've used mine in the past to add peat moss to the filtration. Now I use the 2nd slot in the filter for a BioPore block. Helps keep the nitrAtes down, but I have to admit that it did take about 4 months for the bacterial colony to grow large enough to make a noticeable difference.

wabyrd said:
I have to disagree with Blaze on the recommendation of the Penguin 350B HOB. The Emperor 400 is better because it has that extra grey (I assume they're still grey) cartridge for the filter which gives the filter some of that flexibility that the cannisters have. I've used mine in the past to add peat moss to the filtration. Now I use the 2nd slot in the filter for a BioPore block. Helps keep the nitrAtes down, but I have to admit that it did take about 4 months for the bacterial colony to grow large enough to make a noticeable difference.

You'd be better to hide the cellpore somewere in your tank to lower nitrates.. It might have enough surfase area to elimanate nitrate depending on the size of the tank.. In the filter is too much flow for removing nitrate, it will just be a very good bio-media in the filter.. This subject is better left to a general discussion thread I think its above the scope of this discussion...JMO though..

You'd be better to hide the cellpore somewere in your tank to lower nitrates.. It might have enough surfase area to elimanate nitrate depending on the size of the tank.. In the filter is too much flow for removing nitrate, it will just be a very good bio-media in the filter.
Not true. It actually requires flow to get the nitrate removed. The manufacturer recommends them for use in filters. However, before blowing $50 to put something in my tank(there's a lot of "snake oil" out there), I checked with Marineland to get their thoughts. If you put it in a low flow area, then you won't have adequate flow to all the pores (and these things are MEGA porous). Most importantly, you need to remember that the bacteria that break down nitrAte are anaerobic, so you don't want to keep pulling these blocks out and looking at them. The anaerobics multiply more slowly than the others, so be patient.

This subject is better left to a general discussion thread I think its above the scope of this discussion
I stated that I like the Emperor series over the Penguins. I feel adequate justification is required.

I was refering to nitrate removal media.. as far as scope of the discussion is conserned.. and your information about it is well.. I will try to keep my opinion to myself.. :roll:

and your information about it is well.. I will try to keep my opinion to myself..

I know, you're thinking "snake oil". Trust me, I understand. I too was thinking "snake oil" when I finally decided to get the blocks and expected no positive results. I'll discuss my findings in another thread though...

I recommended the 350B over the 400 because for 2 reasons:
one- it is much cheaper than the 400
two-it is much quieter than the emperor filters

And they do have refillable cartridges.

wabyrd said:
and your information about it is well.. I will try to keep my opinion to myself..

I know, you're thinking "snake oil". Trust me, I understand. I too was thinking "snake oil" when I finally decided to get the blocks and expected no positive results. I'll discuss my findings in another thread though...

I know that cellpore isnt "snake oil" the sudleties of the product have not been advertised in quite a long time.. I just think they could have done a better job of keeping the public informed on how it works thats all...

I think after owning a aquaclear that a penguin might be a bit of a disappointment.. I would stick with the one you have or upgrade to the 110/500 aquaclear.. and yes Ive owned them both Ive also had Emperors.. I just like the aquaclear for its versatility of filter media.. nothing else beats it in that department and its top quality to boot!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wow! This is a very active board. I look forward to tons of good information. Thanks everyone! :D

Regards,

Gary

Back
Top Bottom