New member - stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
My 9 year old son and I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank that is well established.
Here's what's in it right now:
4 serpae tetra - we initially had 6 but over the last 2 years 2 of them have died
5 harlequin rasbora - we've had them for about 9 months
6 peppered corys - brand new from the store (we're acclimating as I'm typing this)

I have a couple questions...

1) We'd like to get a school of neon tetra (like 10) and a couple dwarf gourami in the next couple months. What your thoughts on this? Would it be overstocked? AqAdvisor says it will only be at 89% but I want to check on that.

2) I realize the serpae tetra would be happier if we had more of them but can I add little ones from the store to the big old ones in the tank? Our serpae tetra have been quite bad tempered and I don't really want more unless it would make them less likely to beat up the other fish (which I've read having more might do)

3) Same with the rasbora - can I add little ones to the existing group?

4) My son really wants a few ghost shrimp. Will the corys eat them?

Thanks very much for having such ain informative site!

Annie and Xander

Hello Xander1234 and welcome to AA. I can answer some of your questions. 10 neons with your stock would be fine. You have a pretty low bio-load and neons will not add much to it. As for the DG, I would only add one, many times adding two in an aquarium that small can be very problematic. Adding more rasboras is fine. But honestly ask your fish store if they will take the serpae tetras for credit since they do tend to be terrors. Yes they can be much better behaved in large schools but if you could rehome/sell them I think you'd be better off. Cory's won't eat ghost shrimp so your fine.

Back
Top Bottom