New Nano Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
You can call this nano if you like, I'm not sure what qualifies an aquarium to be "nano" but what I'm calling "nano" is 5 gallon. I just set this up after saving up for quite a while. Pics will come in the next post.

I'm using floramax as substrate for planting low light plants. I filled it up with the measuring cup and a paper towel method. Still a bit cloudy but thats normal.

What is concerning me is the amount of air bubbles that come up with I stir or poke the substrate. Is this something to be concerned about once I add fish?

My first "aqua scape"

Attachments

• image-366811587.jpg
    image-366811587.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1656863621.jpg
    image-1656863621.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-889761212.jpg
    image-889761212.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63
That is what was sold to me 6 months ago as xmas moss tied to that drift wood. I trimmed it from my other tank.

Ya I've been stirring a lot and they just keep coming up. I've read different places (this is still a bit new to me) about air pockets in your substrate eventually becoming toxic.

Just pushed that big rock deeper in the hill...when its not so cloudy I'll take another pic.

Right, got that much. But I thought I've read somewhere that if those oxygen bubbles stay under your substrate for an extended amount of time they will start to help bacteria or something like that grow and become toxic.

End goal for stocking is as many Rainbow Paskai as I can so as not to overstock and fancy shrimp. But I'm going to start with a few neons because those Rainbow Paskais are 15 bucks a piece at Fish Gallery in Austin, Tx. Such an awesome place.

At some point soon I'm going to try my hand at adding a moss wall somewhere and some sort of Aponogeton species. The Apono will be planted at the base of the driftwood.

I thought about adding a male betta as a center piece into the mix but read they might go for the shrimp. Would females goes after shrimp too? Anyone know? I read bettas dont like a lot of water flow...how does that work in a planted aquarium? Don't those need a good flow?

Once its more established I'm going to start dosing liquid CO2 and ferts for more plants. We'll see.

I have some cheap POS filter in it right now. I want to upgrade...any recommendations out there?

Back
Top Bottom