New oscar acting funny...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We just got a new baby Oscar yesterday (about 3 inches) and he hasn't eaten at all. If you go in the room where the tank is, and he sees you, he just goes to the bottom of the tank and kind of lays on his side. But as soon as you leave, he's swimming around his tank like he's just fine. I knew oscars are smart, but I have no idea why he's doing this... Could he still be stressed from the move? Oh and also, we are feeding him (or would be if he'd eat) flakes and frozen brine shrimp. When he gets bigger ill give him some small feeder guppies and maybe some crickets. I also plan on getting some freeze dried blood worms next time I go to the pet store. What do you feed your oscars?

We just got a new baby Oscar yesterday (about 3 inches) and he hasn't eaten at all. If you go in the room where the tank is, and he sees you, he just goes to the bottom of the tank and kind of lays on his side. But as soon as you leave, he's swimming around his tank like he's just fine. I knew oscars are smart, but I have no idea why he's doing this... Could he still be stressed from the move? Oh and also, we are feeding him (or would be if he'd eat) flakes and frozen brine shrimp. When he gets bigger ill give him some small feeder guppies and maybe some crickets. I also plan on getting some freeze dried blood worms next time I go to the pet store. What do you feed your oscars?

He's probably just stressed from the move. Do not feed for the first full day as a lot of fish will not eat when first introduced to a new tank.

Oscars are a cichlid, feed him cichlid pellets. Since you said he's about 3 inches you could go for the medium size ones for now. I would recommend not feeding feeder guppies, feeder fish are known for carrying nasty diseases and go easy on the bloodworms, they are a treat for fish not a staple food

Ok. Thanks for the info :) I didn't know about the feeders. So should I NOT feed tropical flakes? I can probably get cichlid pellets in the next few days.

Feed him pellets as his primary diet. Feeders are good every now and then though. He is just stressed though..Oscars are drama queens and almost always do that when they have new environments.

Feed him pellets as his primary diet. Feeders are good every now and then though. He is just stressed though..Oscars are drama queens and almost always do that when they have new environments.

lol yeah I've been reading about that :) the temperament is one of the reasons we got one.

His name is Oliver by the way... Oliver the Oscar :) he's my sisters fish. Here's a pic. Im trying to convince her to get a backdrop so you don't see the wires...

Attachments

• image-2370236988.jpg
    image-2370236988.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 89
Here is Sybil, about five mins ago mad as hell at me and pouting because I changed her water... They have some awesome attitudes haha

image-1258623061.jpg

Haha, I got my oscar (Ruxpin) almost 3 weeks ago, (same size) and he did the exact same thing you described, but it's been 3 weeks and he is swimming around...I love oscars XD he just sits and waits for me to feed him, that's all he loves me for...food

Hope your tank is at least 55 gallons. If not start working on an upgrade, they grow fast and it's hard to picture it unless you see just how fast they do. No tankmates unless you have 90+ gallons as they are messy and high bioload and like the nitrates kept under 20 ppm to ward off HITH and such. Silver dollars are low bioload and great tankmates for oscars. They actually eat the oscars poop since oscars only partially digest their food. Didn't believe it until I saw it and kept the silver dollars for myself. I have 10 with my year and a half old tiger in my 125. Going to rehome my tiger as I have a wild caught oscar that I'm growing out for that tank. And 2 big oscars in a 125 is a lot of big water changes. The wild caught is a lot more aggressive than the tank/farm raised ones as well and I don't want issues. I have the wild caught in there now partitioned off at one end and I'm doing 3 60-75% water changes a week to keep the nitrates below 20 ppm. On the side of the divider with the 5-6 inch oscar it looks like a Rottweiler poops there and on the side with the big 12-13 inch oscar and the silver dollars you never see an oscar poo. For filtration if you have a canister you want to turn over the tank volume at least 5 times an hour and with HOB filters you want to turn over the tank volume at least 10 times an hour. Feed a good staple pellet as the main food and add other things fruit, crickets, worms, ect.. But never feed feeders. To much risk to do so with all the disease they carry. Don't even do it occasionally. Also soaking their food with drops of liquid vitamin goes along way towards good health with them, especially vitamin c. Good luck with your new wet pet they are great. I've raised quite a few oscars over the last 25 years and still my fav fish.

Oscar's are great interactive fish, but at the same time very moody, since yours is a baby, they are frightened of everything, turn the lights off for 2-3 days and slowly approach the tank, this way they get used to the new environment and who ever will be feeding them. Make sure you do the feedings and lights on and off at a regular time, they are very aware of small changes in their routines. Good luck, love the Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom