new Otocinclus in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently (yesterday) got 2 Otocinclus for my 19l tank. there is some algae growth however i know there isnt enough to sustain them for long and to be honest when i've been watching them they dont suck on that algae (green). i have also read that many fish keepers report their Otocinclus dying within the first few weeks no matter what they do :(

does anyone have any advice as to how to make sure they eat? any feeding preferences? any day/night cycle preferences? type of habitat?

i have 2 silk ferns (one large the other small) a lil haunted house with plenty of enterences, a small bridge (which my betta fish likes), a small coral like fake plant and bog wood (no plants on it as they died so we cut the leaves etc off)

would anybody suggest anything else?

Congrats. (y) They are crazy little fish. Probably the most entertaining fish in my tank. Have you seen them resting on their pelvic fins yet? I am still trying to figure out how it's possible. I've seen them resting on the front glass with just their fins. Must be magic.

My tank is supporting algae and diatoms regularly so I actually don't feed my Otos anything. I have had 4 of them in my 55 gallon for about 6 months. They are nice and plump and constantly grazing. They will even eat the microscopic algae that you can't see with your eyes. So don't panic if you can't see algae. If they are "fat", you're good.

I lost 1 Oto in that time period. Not sure what happened, just found him in the intake one day. RIP :(

I have heard of people feeding them blanched vegetables. Spinach, zucchini, lettuce, etc. It is worth a try. Just make sure they don't have pesticides on them or anything else. Also, I put algae wafers in for my other fish and the Otos never touch them.

here is a great article on the Oto.
www.otocinclus.com - Home of the Dwarf Suckermouth Catfishes

How long has the tank been established???

IMO your tank is too small for otos, but if you have plans for an upgrade it shouldn't be a problem.

If they are rooting around on your rocks and glass, they are likely eating. They just haven't gotten to it yet is my guess.. And I've got to admit, I've never had the problem others discribe with otos. I've got one big enough he's been confused with a small pleco (he was definitely not so when we bought him. Hrs just a bruiser)

Congrats. They are crazy little fish. Probably the most entertaining fish in my tank. Have you seen them resting on their pelvic fins yet? I am still trying to figure out how it's possible. I've seen them resting on the front glass with just their fins. Must be magic.

My tank is supporting algae and diatoms regularly so I actually don't feed my Otos anything. I have had 4 of them in my 55 gallon for about 6 months. They are nice and plump and constantly grazing. They will even eat stuff that you can't see with your eyes.

I lost 1 Oto in that time period. Not sure what happened, just found him in the intake one day. RIP

I have heard of people feeding them blanched vegetables. Spinach, zucchini, lettuce, etc. It is worth a try. Just make sure they don't have pesticides on them or anything else.

here is a great article on the Oto.
www.otocinclus.com - Home of the Dwarf Suckermouth Catfishes

i havent seen them rest that way no! does sound fascinating though. i have a betta fish who to me is one of the best fish i've owned. always watching and interested in what i do.

i will give that site a good read. i actually found it just before reading your post! lucky or what

How long has the tank been established???

IMO your tank is too small for otos, but if you have plans for an upgrade it shouldn't be a problem.

its been established for nearly 2 months now. we may very well upgrade in the future but we need a place first and some money lol. the fish are maybe 3cm max at the moment so very small and i know rule of thumb is one gallon per inch of fish so i'm sticking to that.

Gingimaru said:
i havent seen them rest that way no! does sound fascinating though. i have a betta fish who to me is one of the best fish i've owned. always watching and interested in what i do.

i will give that site a good read. i actually found it just before reading your post! lucky or what

its been established for nearly 2 months now. we may very well upgrade in the future but we need a place first and some money lol. the fish are maybe 3cm max at the moment so very small and i know rule of thumb is one gallon per inch of fish so i'm sticking to that.

The one inch of fish per gallon "rule" is very innacurate. If I went by that rule I would get the impression that I could put a ten inch arrowana in a ten gallon. A lot of chain local fish stores give out that rule. But they don't have very good experience. You also have to stock based on filtration capacity and swim room. I think the bare minimum for ottos is like 10 gallons, because they need a lot of room to swim. Next time please do your research before getting a fish, and don't go by what the pet store tells you.

19 liters in only about 5 gallons. Sorry to be a buzz-kill, but that is a bit too small for 2 otos. They are fun little guy with fun little habits, but they prefer a bit more space. Especially for 2. They like groups, but sometimes you will find a loners and it do fine on its own. If you want to see their full spectrum of behaviors, you will need a bigger tank.
They prefer well planted tanks. Some will eat algae wafers, but others wont. Blanched vegetables are a much appreciated as a dietary suppliment. Normal darklight cycle is fine. Another good dietary suppliment is to grow additional algae on a rock and then put it in the tank for them to eat.

I did do some research obviously where i've looked has missed some bits off. but please dont insinuate i'm a fool. i actually heard the rule of thumb inch per gallon online not from my fish shop. so also please dont assume :)

looking at my fish they all look happy, they are getting fed, there are no stress stripes, the water is clear etc

19 liters in only about 5 gallons. Sorry to be a buzz-kill, but that is a bit too small for 2 otos. They are fun little guy with fun little habits, but they prefer a bit more space. Especially for 2. They like groups, but sometimes you will find a loners and it do fine on its own. If you want to see their full spectrum of behaviors, you will need a bigger tank.
They prefer well planted tanks. Some will eat algae wafers, but others wont. Blanched vegetables are a much appreciated as a dietary suppliment. Normal darklight cycle is fine. Another good dietary suppliment is to grow additional algae on a rock and then put it in the tank for them to eat.

thank you. at least someone offers constructive criticism and doesnt just accuse :)

i will look up how to grow algae for them and see if they like that thank you. i didnt see much on how much space you need for them but it is a fair sized tank albeit yes its about 5gallons. but they all seem happy, no signs of stress etc so i hope there ok i wil just keep a good eye on them like i always do

thank you. at least someone offers constructive criticism and doesnt just accuse

i will look up how to grow algae for them and see if they like that thank you. i didnt see much on how much space you need for them but it is a fair sized tank albeit yes its about 5gallons. but they all seem happy, no signs of stress etc so i hope there ok i wil just keep a good eye on them like i always do
No Problem.:) I have one that was a loner, so I put him in a 5 gallon and he does fine.
Mine eat algae wafers and blanched vegies. If you do try wafers, read the ingredients. Some do not even contain algae! Instead, they are made of soy meal and stuff. Your fishies are more likely to eat the one made from actual algae. :) Also, they love blanched zuchini.

No Problem.:) I have one that was a loner, so I put him in a 5 gallon and he does fine.
Mine eat algae wafers and blanched vegies. If you do try wafers, read the ingredients. Some do not even contain algae! Instead, they are made of soy meal and stuff. Your fishies are more likely to eat the one made from actual algae. :) Also, they love blanched zuchini.

:) cool i do love keeping fish. not an easy pass time as most people would think though.

i will have a look at our wafers fair sure they do contain actual algae. if not well they have been devouring them so they must like them :)

and we will be trying some veg with them soon as well. been paid so we can get some shopping in haha

thanks you :)

That one inch rule? I wish I could locate the probably long-dead person who thought up that little gem. :banghead:

Otos are marvelous little guys. I adore mine. I do agree with the others that you need a larger tank to keep them thriving.

By the way, I didn't see that anyone insinuated you were a fool. We've all been duped by false information, gained either on-line or at the lfs.

Don't be insulted when someone recommends research prior to purchase. That's probably the advice I give the most. It's easier to get the right fish for the environment you offer from the get-go.

So....

after reading your post yesterday I was inspired to stop by the LFS.

While there I picked up 2 more Otos to bring my total to 6. I was amazed that in the tank of +50 Otos there was a single black one. I asked and was actually able to get him! :D The guy working there got it on the first try.

So thanks for inspiring me. I would have never gotten him if I didn't go yesterday. (y)

Also, I swung by the Glowlight Danio tank and there was 1 left. I felt so bad and had to take him home. I figured no one else would buy him and I didn't want him to be all alone when I had 7 of his bro's at my house. haha

I did do some research obviously where i've looked has missed some bits off. but please dont insinuate i'm a fool. i actually heard the rule of thumb inch per gallon online not from my fish shop. so also please dont assume :)

looking at my fish they all look happy, they are getting fed, there are no stress stripes, the water is clear etc

Yeah, try not to take those posts personally. I used to when I first joined. Everyone here has the best intentions in mind. They just need a little work on not being so abrasive. It's one thing to tell you that 2 Otos wouldn't be happy in a 5 gallon, and it's another thing to tell you that you're dumb for doing it. :D Which, you aren't.

Notice in my first post I didn't mention it. I knew the "Stocking Police" weren't far behind me. :lol:

The easiest way to avoid those comments is to research each fish thoroughly before buying. That way you will know what you're doing is right and then you can tell others that they are wrong. haha

and like you pointed out. You will learn TONS more about YOUR fish by observing them regularly. If they're happy you'll know it. If they're suffering you'll know it.

sorry i've been a bit busy recently :/

So....

after reading your post yesterday I was inspired to stop by the LFS.

While there I picked up 2 more Otos to bring my total to 6. I was amazed that in the tank of +50 Otos there was a single black one. I asked and was actually able to get him! :D The guy working there got it on the first try.

So thanks for inspiring me. I would have never gotten him if I didn't go yesterday. (y)

Your very welcome :)

Also, I swung by the Glowlight Danio tank and there was 1 left. I felt so bad and had to take him home. I figured no one else would buy him and I didn't want him to be all alone when I had 7 of his bro's at my house. haha

very nice man. i think we're done for fish now until we upgrade the tank

Yeah, try not to take those posts personally. I used to when I first joined. Everyone here has the best intentions in mind. They just need a little work on not being so abrasive. It's one thing to tell you that 2 Otos wouldn't be happy in a 5 gallon, and it's another thing to tell you that you're dumb for doing it. :D Which, you aren't.

Notice in my first post I didn't mention it. I knew the "Stocking Police" weren't far behind me. :lol:

The easiest way to avoid those comments is to research each fish thoroughly before buying. That way you will know what you're doing is right and then you can tell others that they are wrong. haha

and like you pointed out. You will learn TONS more about YOUR fish by observing them regularly. If they're happy you'll know it. If they're suffering you'll know it.

oh i do do research as much as i can anyway as a lot of places give very different info so i try almalgamate what i see and come up with my own opinions on it. i watch my fish daily and they are all happy by the looks of it. albeit yes a single tetra isnt amazing he is doing very well looks very happy and colourful and eats well :) same with the octo's yes there are only 2 of them but they get on well and dont show signs of stress at all

How are your guys doing?

very sorry i didnt get back quicker. all my fish are doing beautifully albeit my betta jumped out the tank the other day.... i nearly had a heart attack but i managed to get her back in and shes now doing fine (i think she hurt her fin a little in the fall but shes using it as normal now)

Back
Top Bottom