Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2002, 08:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Outdoor Tank - 35 Gallon

Hi, my objective is to have as clean of fish, some pretty fish, some healthy fish, and have it all happen outside on my deck.

I live on the second floor of an apartment building. It's an octagonal tank. Obviously I'm in Texas, central. It would receive direct light for only about 2 - 4 hours in the morning. Should I ditch this whole project and move it inside? Are the summers just going to be too much?

Any recommendations to a novice for fish type? Salt, Fresh? Any and all help would be appreciated, no disclaimers needed.

Old 10-17-2002, 01:57 PM   #2

Well, I never tried anything like that, but I think the temperature swings outside are going to be too much. Summer in central Texas, temps in the hundreds, right? If thats the case, just bring it inside, I dont know what could survive that, much less be healthy. A pond is buffered from extreme temps by being in the ground, which keeps temps from swinging drastically, but a tank on the deck would be much more severly affected.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this also.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:48 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

This topic was moved to it's currect forum.

I have to agree, move it inside. I moved this topic to the F/W section, cause I don't think it will be a good idea for S/W, hex tanks don't make good S/W tanks anyway. Feel free though to post the same message in the S/W forum.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to freshmaker
I would have to agree. The summer temperatures are too high. What would you do in the winter when it's below freezing? I guess you could try it with a good chiller and heater.

I would still go with the tank inside.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Also remember the weight of a full tank. This is not something you can just move inside.

YOu will need to take the system all the way down and move it

The water itself will weight 280lbs and that is before you add the wight of the tank and the gravel, etc.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:20 PM   #6

got to cast my vote for inside, for the previously stated reasons
Old 10-19-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
heh yea inside be best on this one...

the heat would be too much alone and to correct it you spend a small fortune on a chiller.. then the cold winter u need a goood one (or two) heaters for it.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just keep it inside aight

Jacob

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com