New Outdoor Tank - 35 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texas27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my objective is to have as clean of fish, some pretty fish, some healthy fish, and have it all happen outside on my deck.

I live on the second floor of an apartment building. It's an octagonal tank. Obviously I'm in Texas, central. It would receive direct light for only about 2 - 4 hours in the morning. Should I ditch this whole project and move it inside? Are the summers just going to be too much?

Any recommendations to a novice for fish type? Salt, Fresh? Any and all help would be appreciated, no disclaimers needed.

Well, I never tried anything like that, but I think the temperature swings outside are going to be too much. Summer in central Texas, temps in the hundreds, right? If thats the case, just bring it inside, I dont know what could survive that, much less be healthy. A pond is buffered from extreme temps by being in the ground, which keeps temps from swinging drastically, but a tank on the deck would be much more severly affected.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this also.

This topic was moved to it's currect forum.

I have to agree, move it inside. I moved this topic to the F/W section, cause I don't think it will be a good idea for S/W, hex tanks don't make good S/W tanks anyway. Feel free though to post the same message in the S/W forum.

I would have to agree. The summer temperatures are too high. What would you do in the winter when it's below freezing? I guess you could try it with a good chiller and heater.

I would still go with the tank inside.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Also remember the weight of a full tank. This is not something you can just move inside.

YOu will need to take the system all the way down and move it

The water itself will weight 280lbs and that is before you add the wight of the tank and the gravel, etc.

heh yea inside be best on this one...

the heat would be too much alone and to correct it you spend a small fortune on a chiller.. then the cold winter u need a goood one (or two) heaters for it.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just keep it inside aight ;)

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom