New picture for mystery fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea, but I like him. He looks like he'll get bigger. He has quite the head for such a small body.

I'm sticking with Betta ;) ( See your other thread :D) It's either a female or an unsexed male if it is that small. You made out ;)

I agree with what everyone is saying. It makes sense now that I look at it. Can it stay in my community tank? I have hatchets, small Cory Juli, Red Minor Tetras, and Neon Tetras. I understand that Betas are aggressive and this little guy seems really sweet. Thank you all for your help!

I agree with what everyone is saying. It makes sense now that I look at it. Can it stay in my community tank? I have hatchets, small Cory Juli, Red Minor Tetras, and Neon Tetras. I understand that Betas are aggressive and this little guy seems really sweet. Thank you all for your help!

As I am the least knowledgeable person posting on this thread I'd love to be confirmed on this but bettas are not typically agressive fish when the other fish are not Bettas. And they are good community fish.

I will say however that I have had my red minor tetras SHRED my betta's tail in a matter of days. Those guys like to play with pretty things and bettas are no exception. But he may be ok because his fins are short though.

I have seen many people say that beta's are peaceful and not aggressive. A pet store person suggested that I buy a fantail goldfish as a tank mate for my male beta. My beta went after it immediately and caused wounds which I had to care for until the goldfish was healed. I love both fish but they must be in separate tanks. Male beta's typically do go after fish with flowy tails. Besides beta's are tropical and fantail gf enjoy cooler temps.

It's a little female veil tail baby betta.

As long as your fish aren't picking on her then I'd say she's fine to stay. When bettas grow up with other fish they tend to be less aggressive, but make sure you don't add any more bettas till this one is bigger and proves it's a female. And then you'll only be able to add females because males will be aggressive towards any other betta, male or female.

I am noticing some signs of aggression from my Red Minors toward my little Betta. I have a 20 gal. tank with Cherry Barbs, Cardinal Tetras, Peppered Corys, and a Bolivian Ram. Do you think I should move her to that tank. It is a move peaceful tank but the filter is a Penguin Bio wheel so it creates a lot of splash. The 16 gal. tank that she is in has a quieter filter with less splash.

If you can, move it by itself until she grows up a bit more and can take care of herself. You can get a 2.5g tank at petsmart for like $12ish or hou can get a 1.75g or so critter keeper at Petco for $10 and they'd be perfect for a temp/permanent home for her. Just add some fake/live plants and maybe a flowerpot for a cave and she'll be set for as long as you'd like.
Just safer to let her grow up than let her try to handle herself in either tank right now. Babies are pretty fragile and the flow would probably be a bit of an issue for her in the other thank, but worth a shot if you don't want to buy another tank.

Back
Top Bottom