New Platy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just rescued these 2 Platy's from a friends tank. He was going to flush them because he had no room for the tank anymore. I know the one is a Micky Mouse but what kind of platy is the other? Should I add more to the tank for them to be happy?

img_1824647_0_d458d4f18bb799e7db0722c6b1a49c76.jpg

img_1824647_1_f8fd52aec54f83a421aaddffb21fd30b.jpg

img_1824647_2_e808bfcc83e10ffa22e22ea5c4297cf8.jpg

2 platies is perfectly fine and i dont believe there are any special names for the red platy

Thanks! What other fish mix well with Platy's? Right now the tank has 2 peppered cory's and 2 Glow Danio's. I need more danio's for them to school, just haven't got to the LFS yet. Its a 25G tank.

My 3 year old daughter is head over heals about the mickey mouse :)

ccross said:
Thanks! What other fish mix well with Platy's? Right now the tank has 2 peppered cory's and 2 Glow Danio's. I need more danio's for them to school, just haven't got to the LFS yet. Its a 25G tank.

My 3 year old daughter is head over heals about the mickey mouse :)

All other community fish danios,barbs (need a school or shoal for aggressiveness) all other livebearers. If had bigger tank blood parrots!

There are so many different colored platy's that I'm considering just platy's and sword tails for the tank, and another bristlenose pleco if my LFS ever has them again :)

I guess I better learn how to tell male from female :) And build a tank for fry just in case, lol.

Your red one is a male. The MM is female. If you want to add more get 1 or 2 females. 3:1 is a good ratio female to male.

stan23 said:
Your red one is a male. The MM is female. If you want to add more get 1 or 2 females. 3:1 is a good ratio female to male.

Yes true you can tell my anal fin if it is pointed or more of a fan is a female. Fanish fin = female pointed =male. They breed like crazy a batch every 3-4 weeks 3-4 times. They might mate also so I would watch out.

Thanks for the info! I think it might be fun to have fry. My kids would love it. I'll have to read up on it a bit just in case.

ccross said:
Thanks for the info! I think it might be fun to have fry. My kids would love it. I'll have to read up on it a bit just in case.

It's fun!! Got a fry tank myself and my newphews love it (imma uncle)! Only thing I can breed right now! Need another fry tank though :/

It's fun!! Got a fry tank myself and my newphews love it (imma uncle)! Only thing I can breed right now! Need another fry tank though :/

Would 5 gallons suffice for fry?

ccross said:
Would 5 gallons suffice for fry?

Yes it would. A lot of people have 5G fry tanks just move them once they get bigger 3-4 weeks you can put them with parents if you want (I haven't) . I got a 10G because only thing I could use (leftover tank) but I'm using 5G fry tank soon also cause of my budget.

Yes it would. A lot of people have 5G fry tanks just move them once they get bigger 3-4 weeks you can put them with parents if you want (I haven't) . I got a 10G because only thing I could use (leftover tank) but I'm using 5G fry tank soon also cause of my budget.

I guess I'll start cycling a 5 gallon now just to have it ready. I'm really liking the platy's so I'm sure I'll be adding more to the 25gallon.

ccross said:
I guess I'll start cycling a 5 gallon now just to have it ready. I'm really liking the platy's so I'm sure I'll be adding more to the 25gallon.

Good luck! Family breeding isn't good they will get mutated just like real life! Just a tip!

Back
Top Bottom