New project ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catpd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an 85 litre tank that has been going for a while now and I would like to try something new with it. I plan on trying a planted tank with lots of small fish rather than a few medium sized fish like I have now. I have set a maximum size of 5 cm so no fish larger than this.

The fish that I currently have will be moved to friends tanks, except my female bristlenose, as although she doesn't fit in with my idea, I'm a little to attached to her to let her go :whistle:

I have been looking through some of my books but they are a little outdated and don't list fish that are very new to the hobby, I'm also not sure if the sizes are up to date with current research and they don't specify pH so I'm going to ask if you can take a look at some of the fish I was considering and tell me if they are compatible with my pH 6.5 water, if there are any I should avoid due to personality etc.

Obviously not all of the fish in this list are going to go in together, I would be very grateful if you could weed out any that are a definate no and let me know if I should be cautious if I decide to add any of them. If you know of any other fish I could consider I would appreciate it. I will buy as many of my final choice fish as possible in my LFS but if they are unable to get hold of a species for me I am happy to purchase them online.

Here it goes.

Tetra:

• Glowlight tetra (hemigrammus erythrozonus)
  • Lemon Tetra Hyphessobrycon pulchiprinnis)
  • X Ray Tetra (Pristella riddlei)
  • Gold Tetra (Hemigrammus armstrongi)
  • Marginatus Pencilfish (nannobrycon marginatus)
  • Three striped Pencilfish (Nannobrycon eques)
  • Sawbwa Tetra (sawbwa resplendens)
  • Three Lined Pencilfish (Nannostomus Trifasciatus)
Barbs:

• Golden Dwarf Barb (barbus gelius)
  • Cherry Barb (barbus titteya)

Killifish:

• Normans Lampeye (Aplochielichthys normani)
  • Gunthers Notho (Nothobranchius Guentheri Gold)
  • Korthaus' Notho (Nothobranchius Korthause)
  • Red Finned Notho (Nothobranchius Rubripinnis)
Danios:

• Glowlight Danio (Danio choprae)
Gourami:

• Chocolate Gourami (Sphaerichthys asphromenoides)
  • Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata)
Corydoras:

• Pretty Corydoras (corydoras gracilis)
  • pygmy corydoras (corydoras Pygmaeus)
Rasboras:

• Pygmy rasboras (rasbora brigittae)
Other:

• White cloud mountain minnow (Tanichthys Albonubes)
  • Mosquito fish (Heterandia formosa)
  • Endlers Guppy (poceilia sp. Endlers)
Thank you in advance, I'm finding it really hard to whittle them down to a few suitable species :thanks:

catpd said:
I have an 85 litre tank that has been going for a while now and I would like to try something new with it. I plan on trying a planted tank with lots of small fish rather than a few medium sized fish like I have now. I have set a maximum size of 5 cm so no fish larger than this.

The fish that I currently have will be moved to friends tanks, except my female bristlenose, as although she doesn't fit in with my idea, I'm a little to attached to her to let her go :whistle:

I have been looking through some of my books but they are a little outdated and don't list fish that are very new to the hobby, I'm also not sure if the sizes are up to date with current research and they don't specify pH so I'm going to ask if you can take a look at some of the fish I was considering and tell me if they are compatible with my pH 6.5 water, if there are any I should avoid due to personality etc.

Obviously not all of the fish in this list are going to go in together, I would be very grateful if you could weed out any that are a definate no and let me know if I should be cautious if I decide to add any of them. If you know of any other fish I could consider I would appreciate it. I will buy as many of my final choice fish as possible in my LFS but if they are unable to get hold of a species for me I am happy to purchase them online.

Here it goes.

Tetra:

[*] Glowlight tetra (hemigrammus erythrozonus)
[*] Lemon Tetra Hyphessobrycon pulchiprinnis)
[*] X Ray Tetra (Pristella riddlei)
[*] Gold Tetra (Hemigrammus armstrongi)
[*] Marginatus Pencilfish (nannobrycon marginatus)
[*] Three striped Pencilfish (Nannobrycon eques)
[*] Sawbwa Tetra (sawbwa resplendens)
[*] Three Lined Pencilfish (Nannostomus Trifasciatus)

Barbs:

[*]Golden Dwarf Barb (barbus gelius)
[*]Cherry Barb (barbus titteya)

Killifish:

[*]Normans Lampeye (Aplochielichthys normani)
[*]Gunthers Notho (Nothobranchius Guentheri Gold)
[*]Korthaus' Notho (Nothobranchius Korthause)
[*]Red Finned Notho (Nothobranchius Rubripinnis)

Danios:

[*]Glowlight Danio (Danio choprae)

Gourami:

[*]Chocolate Gourami (Sphaerichthys asphromenoides)
[*]Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata)

Corydoras:

[*]Pretty Corydoras (corydoras gracilis)
[*]pygmy corydoras (corydoras Pygmaeus)

Rasboras:

[*]Pygmy rasboras (rasbora brigittae)

Other:

[*]White cloud mountain minnow (Tanichthys Albonubes)
[*]Mosquito fish (Heterandia formosa)
[*]Endlers Guppy (poceilia sp. Endlers)

Thank you in advance, I'm finding it really hard to whittle them down to a few suitable species :thanks:

I would do:
x7 Pygmy corydoras
x8 Endlers
x8 tetra of some kind
I think that'd work out very well

The Korthaus' Notho is very cool looking too, but I haven't had any experience with those but I'd look for people who have. I would think that the pymgy corydoras would work well.

All the fish you list could basically work, not all of them in there though obviously.

Here are three ideas I came up with:
1. The Color Tank
-7 glowlight danios
-5 endler's livebearers
-2 killies of your choice
2. The Community Tank
-8 x-ray tetras
-6 cories of your choice
-5 gold barbs
-1 gourami
3. The Nano
-8 mosquito fish
-7 endler's livebearers
-2 norman's lampeyes
-1 chocolate gourami

Thanks AquaKai that does sound like an interesting combination, I will have a think about it. But does anybody know if the Pygmy corydoras would go fine with my resident bristlenose?

I really like the colour tank idea bruinsbro1997, and the nano list could be interesting aswell. Judging by the fact that two of your lists had 1 gourami I'm assuming that these fish do not do well with others of their own species? In that case it makes it easier as I find the chocolate gourami more attractive, so I can narrow that part down a little more.

Is it true that both mosquito fish and endlers are livebearing fish? If so then I would have to add just males to stop my tank from being overcome with fry, correct? Is it possible that they could interbreed or is that a little farfetched?

catpd said:
Thanks AquaKai that does sound like an interesting combination, I will have a think about it. But does anybody know if the Pygmy corydoras would go fine with my resident bristlenose?

I really like the colour tank idea bruinsbro1997, and the nano list could be interesting aswell. Judging by the fact that two of your lists had 1 gourami I'm assuming that these fish do not do well with others of their own species? In that case it makes it easier as I find the chocolate gourami more attractive, so I can narrow that part down a little more.

Is it true that both mosquito fish and endlers are livebearing fish? If so then I would have to add just males to stop my tank from being overcome with fry, correct? Is it possible that they could interbreed or is that a little farfetched?

IMO the cories would be fine with the current Bristlenose.

The reason it's only one chocolate gourami is because gouramis all have different personalities. Some are shy, some are personable, some are bullies, and some are bullied. For now I'd stick with one and see what he's like.

Yes they are. You could add either males or females. It doesn't sound possible, but IDK.

Back
Top Bottom