New project want some help and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey been a while since I posted but I got a new project and I want input from the worlds best aquarists! So here it is. I am going for a huge centerpiece kind of thing.
Most likely this will be a 20 tall tank (its what I have. I would prefer a 20 long but oh well) The goal is to go topless and have plants growing out of the top of the tank. I will be using a mixture of several different methods and ideas to make this tank.
I want to use the Walstead method to an extent (I also want this low budget) so what I was thinking is I will tell yall what I want it to look like and do and then ask specific questions!
Basically this will be a no water change tank (maybe the occasional 3 monther or something lol) using plants as purification. I plan on stocking a betta and african dwarf frogs (and snails and possibly shrimp) I want plants growing up over the tank (no light but natural sunlight from a roughly westward facing window). I really like Umbrella papyrus. I would like it to be the biggest eye catcher. I also considered a flowering lilly. I have pothos vine and lucky bamboo to try.

So my questions:
1. Will natural sunlight be enough?

2. Please help with substrate! In keeping with the low maintenance theme I dont plan to include fertilizers so whats a good sub (can be layered)

3. Sponge filter or filterless?

Anything else yall can think of that I might need to know or might want to know (equipement, stock, fauna, anything) please through that in!

Thanks in advance and God bless!

Back
Top Bottom