Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New project want some help and advice

Hey been a while since I posted but I got a new project and I want input from the worlds best aquarists! So here it is. I am going for a huge centerpiece kind of thing.
Most likely this will be a 20 tall tank (its what I have. I would prefer a 20 long but oh well) The goal is to go topless and have plants growing out of the top of the tank. I will be using a mixture of several different methods and ideas to make this tank.
I want to use the Walstead method to an extent (I also want this low budget) so what I was thinking is I will tell yall what I want it to look like and do and then ask specific questions!
Basically this will be a no water change tank (maybe the occasional 3 monther or something lol) using plants as purification. I plan on stocking a betta and african dwarf frogs (and snails and possibly shrimp) I want plants growing up over the tank (no light but natural sunlight from a roughly westward facing window). I really like Umbrella papyrus. I would like it to be the biggest eye catcher. I also considered a flowering lilly. I have pothos vine and lucky bamboo to try.

So my questions:
1. Will natural sunlight be enough?

2. Please help with substrate! In keeping with the low maintenance theme I dont plan to include fertilizers so whats a good sub (can be layered)

3. Sponge filter or filterless?

Anything else yall can think of that I might need to know or might want to know (equipement, stock, fauna, anything) please through that in!

Thanks in advance and God bless!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bump

Tags
advice, project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com