New Puffer! (Mbu)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roaringrory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone! I recently got my hands on a mbu and would like to share him with you all on here :D hes about 3.5", currently on a diet of bloodworms, clams and snails. Once he gets a good decent size, hes going into a 300g. Im thinking about turning it into another planted but thats way off in the future :brows:

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 111
Wow! Nice find. I saw one at one of my lfs recently that was at least 16"-probably more. How fast do these grow?

My lfs has a large one (2 ft) named Dave lol they get huge, like 3ft plus, and have a beak capable of taking off fingers!

Mbu puffers are known to get 26 inches long (im not sure if this includes tail fin or not). He'll probably grown an inch every month for about a year then start to slow down. It'll be a couple of years till he hits maximal size

His name is Elliot

Thank you! He was $130... which isn't too bad. Its the Cross River Puffers (Tetraodon pustulatus) that really cost the arm and leg :banghead:

Just out of curiosity is there any worry of having to trim his beak when he is fully grown or should the usual assortment of shellfish/snails keep it down? I just find it amusing to imagine you holding a 2+ puffer with a little nail file near his beak. ;)

wow beautiful! Wish I had room for a 300 gallon. puffers are by far my favorite fish.

Just out of curiosity is there any worry of having to trim his beak when he is fully grown or should the usual assortment of shellfish/snails keep it down? I just find it amusing to imagine you holding a 2+ puffer with a little nail file near his beak. ;)

That would be a sight to see! :ROFLMAO: I never heard of any of the larger puffer species needing dental care. Probably due to the fact that they can eat whole size clams to keep their beaks nice and trimmed.

They are usually agressive although i have seen youtube videos of owners successfully keeping mbu's with other fish. So far mine kills anything i put in there with him (RIP little corydora :bawl:)

Back
Top Bottom