New Quarantine Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redstart

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60 gallon tank of mostly livebearers and tetras to which I added a new angelfish (which shame on me, I did not quarantine). Long story short, the angelfish never ate well and started to decline quickly after a few days. It is now doing very poorly and most likely will not make it through the night. While the angelfish never had visible signs of ich, I suspect it has it as now several of my other fish have some spots. I think I have caught it early enough as most of the fish are spot free and even the infected ones and very active and eating well. I started treating the tank last night with Super Ick Cure at half dose as I have a clown pleco.

If the angelfish does not make it, I would like to replace it after things have calmed down. I would like to setup my old 20G high as a quarantine tank so it will be ready when the time is right. Since I am treating the main tank with medication, taking filter media from the main tank and putting it in the quarantine is not an option. I do have some Tetra Safe Start and was wondering if I could use that to get things going. If I do use Safe Start, do I need to add something additional to help get the tank established or will that be enough? Also, how many weeks would you recommend waiting before adding fish to the main tank (once the ick appears to be gone)? If I could have a new fish starting quarantine while I am at the end of waiting period for the main tank that would be ideal. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I would wait at least 3 weeks after the last spots to add new fish. I had an ich outbreak in December and it took me over a month and the loss of lots of fish to beat it.

Once your ich is beat, you can keep a sponge filter in your main tank and then switch it over to your quarantine tank whenever you purchase new fish. I personally keep a 17 gallon tank running with some hardy fish which I use as a quarantine tank.

I would wait at least 3 weeks after the last spots to add new fish. I had an ich outbreak in December and it took me over a month and the loss of lots of fish to beat it.

Once your ich is beat, you can keep a sponge filter in your main tank and then switch it over to your quarantine tank whenever you purchase new fish. I personally keep a 17 gallon tank running with some hardy fish which I use as a quarantine tank.

How long do you think the sponge filter would need to be in the main tank to be beneficial in the QT?

My quarantine tank has no filter, only an air stone and heater and I rely on heavy water changes which helps the diseased fish and keep the ammonia down. I also feed the quarantine fish a very small amount. I try to not medicate if I don't have to.
Not sure your angel s problem is ick unless it was heavily infected but you would have seen some spots by then.
Maybe my logic is weird but the way I see it is... how long will you keep running an empty tank before it gets used?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom