New real rocks :legit;

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Live next to the chesapeke bay like water front property lol And it's really dirty but what I wanted to do was use some of those rocks from it I figure if I pulled them out bleached them let them sun dry then spray real good with hose then let sun dry again then spray with hose and put in tank I just want to know If u guys agree that, that would kill all the bleach toxins and if u have a way w/out bleach that would be even better
Thanks in advance
-ten

Boiling them will help remove any bleach or parasites left on them :) I've also heard of asking em in the oven, or
Jotting them through a cycle in the dishwasher. I'd say boil them though

Freakgecko91 said:
Boiling them will help remove any bleach or parasites left on them :) I've also heard of asking em in the oven, or
Jotting them through a cycle in the dishwasher. I'd say boil them though

How long?

It shouldn't need to be too long, maybe 10 minutes? I'm not 100% sure, try googling it, i'm sure others have asked the same question on this or some other forum out there :)

Freakgecko91 said:
I'm sure that would work
I dipped them in two bleach three part water and let them air dry then used a hose on them and after they dry again I will use boiling water twice then do u think it will be ok for my fifty gallon long freshwater tank without hurting my fish?

Wow. Thats a pretty strong mix. If it was me, I'd soak them for a day in fw. The only thing that would scare me is the fact that most rocks have the ability to absorb liquid and the more porous they are the deeper it will go and the longer it will take to purge them clean.

Well u know how if u leave Clorox out it the sun it will turn back to water the sun kills it all that's why I left them outside Imma get a pic on hear

I would think it would make it a stronger concentration by evaporating the water it's mixed with. I would scrap the current rocks and fine some new ones, and use 1 part bleach to 5 or 6 parts water to be completely honest. That's a really strong mix to use on Something going into a fish tank IMHO

I agree with gecko. Better safe than sorry. 6:1 ratio sounds good. You just need enough bleach there to kill undesirables.

Even after bleach
air dry
hose wash
air dry and now
boiling water
air dry then one more
boiling water with
air dry?? Would it still not work?!?!?!

Attachments

• image-3163547028.jpg
    image-3163547028.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 52
Just a heads up, spider mites (those little red bugs you that splat red) love to crawl all over rocks in the summertime, so who knows what other creatures could be hitching a ride on them, even after the bleach

Freakgecko91 said:
Just a heads up, spider mites (those little red bugs you that splat red) love to crawl all over rocks in the summertime, so who knows what other creatures could be hitching a ride on them, even after the bleach

They have been underwater forever basically... Don't think I have that problem

After bleaching them you should soak them in water with double prime or other dechlorinator. That will get out the chlorine better. FYI : Some rocks have trapped gas bubbles in them, and will explode when heated in pot or oven:hide:.

Karen561 said:
After bleaching them you should soak them in water with double prime or other dechlorinator. That will get out the chlorine better. FYI : Some rocks have trapped gas bubbles in them, and will explode when heated in pot or oven:hide:.

So bottom line u guys think the rocks still aren't safe for tank?? And yeah I wondered bout them exploding too

Do not boil rocks. I cannot believe some people still recommend/try this approach. You can damage your house and yourself if a rock explodes. Trust me! My brother threw a wet rock in a fire and it literally blew up and hit me in the eye. Lesson learned a long time ago.

I too think your bleach solution was way too strong. I usually do bleach dips at a 1:19 ratio. I then soak in a double or triple dosed container of freshwater. Sun drying will help get rid of anything residual. I took a power washer to the rocks I got off a guy on craigslist. Got all the dirt and mud off them in a hurry!

I was told to bleach the rocks in a slightly weaker solution than you used then soak in water with at least double the dechlorinator for two to three days to remove all the chlorine.
Also, have you tested it to make sure it won't effect your PH?

Back
Top Bottom