New rock, how to steralize it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Normally I'd boil it but its pretty big and part of it will stick out of the pot. Is that okay? I got it from a local river beach(like 50ft from the water). I washed it with the hose and in the sink but wasn't sure if there was anything I needed to do it. This is for a new tank.

Yeah that's fine. Boil one side of the Rock and then flip the rock in the other way to sterile the other side. Should be 100% good!

Sebastian Blake

I have seen posts on other forums saying to soak in a mild bleach/water solution 1:20 followed by a soak in water with dechlorinator. Boiling is how I sterilized some small river rock for my tank and I have not had any problems. Maybe other members can share another way as I would think there would be more than two ways.

Never ever boil rock. It can have gas pockets and explode. Some vapors from boiling rock I have read can be poisonous. Soak it to kill whatever. Then soak it to remove the stuff you used. Change the water several times over a period of days to insure all traces of the cleaner are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom