new sand and filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Things are going good on the big tank - made some progress this weekend. The back of the tank is painted navy blue (looks a bit lighter in the tank, but cool) and the sand is washed. I put the sand in the tank and filled it half way and let it sit overnight. It was a bit hazy last night, but is a lot more clear this morning. How long before I should start my filter up - I don't want to mess up my filter. The filters are HOB Aquaclears. I bought one new filter and will be taking an existing filter off my smaller tank to get my large tank going.

855336098_39ymA-M.jpg

Looks good to me. I'd fire up that filter and start dosing ammonia. My ACs don't seem to have problems with sand.

How much water is in it now? In the pic it looks like you completely filled it. If so, just turn on the filters.

If you have 1/2 or less and are willing to do a quick water change do it. Most of the silt-like particles have settled to the bottom but will come back up when disturbed so a water change now can get rid of some of that. When you go to refill place a flat dish (clean, no detergent) on the sand and add the water to the dish. Go slowly until you get a bit in there and it will prevent much of the clouding.

Water looks just above the sand. If I were you I would fill it up and let it sit for a day with nothing running so all the finer particles can bed down in the sand. After that id turn the filters on. Sand really isn't a big deal if you make sure to keep the filters off while cleaning and refilling.

Looks like you two are right. I assumed it was full since the OP mentioned it was 1/2 full and I couldn't see the water line. Now that I look back at the pic I can see it's only a bit above the sand.

With that I'd fill er up using the plate method and turn on the filters.

I finished filling up the tank yesterday - I had washed the sand pretty well, so it was not all that hazy after I filled it with water. I started up my filter last night and this is how the tank looked late last night after the filter had been on for a few hours:

856307232_DWBHV-M.jpg

7Enigma - the plate idea is a good one - I poured my water in on one of my flat rocks.

Looks like you two are right. I assumed it was full since the OP mentioned it was 1/2 full and I couldn't see the water line. Now that I look back at the pic I can see it's only a bit above the sand.

With that I'd fill er up using the plate method and turn on the filters.

Sorry about that - the photo was taken before I filled the tank part way up. The water that was in this photo was just left over from cleaning the sand. :rolleyes:

I'm in the process of starting a new tank which I have added the sand and filled up but the tank is still cloudy after 1 day but on the live sand instructions it boldly states not to rinse the sand? why is this,is it because it's live sand?

Back
Top Bottom