New set up, help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chad868

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

About to set up a 60g fresh water Tank, iam confused about one thing...i live in the tropics always hottt lol would i need a heater ? The tank will be in a open air room not air conditioned. I got mixed answers from pet store owners.

If so what heater do you suggest ? :confused:

A heater is always good. It's not about temperature, it's about consistency. You want to maintain a stable temperature.

I personally like the Eheim jager heaters, but I've never had a problem with any heater except for the tetra heaters that have no adjustable thermostat.

Thanks !

what size heater should i use for the tank ? its 4ftx18inx18in approx 60us gallons. And at what is a good temp ?

For your tank, especially in the tropics, you could probably do fine with a 200 watt heater. What temperature is it typically in your house?

32c during the day, 28c at night.

Got a couple more questions lol

Whats the proper placement of the heater ?

At that temperature you may actually need a chiller, rather than a heater. Even 28C is high for most tropical fish.

That chillers are expensive, lol. Way more expensive than heaters. If you could put the tank in an air conditioned area you'd probably be in better shape.

ok will do, i was also told to buy a power head for water movement ? what are your thoughts

Assuming this is a freshwater tank? You almost never need them for freshwater, they're much more important in saltwater. As long as you have a strong enough filter you won't need a powerhead.

ok thank you, well thats it for now anything else i will hit u up thanks alot !

o last question, how much oxygen is sufficient ? is there anyway of measurement

o last question, how much oxygen is sufficient ? is there anyway of measurement

If you have sufficient surface area of your tank for what you're keeping in the tank, and water flow/surface agitation from the filter, you'll never have to worry about dissolved oxygen.

There is no way, that I know of to measure oxygen in water for home use.. Usually as long as you have good filters you will have enough water movement thus have plenty of O2. The warmer the water the more movement you will need to increase O2.

There is no way, that I know of to measure oxygen in water for home use.. Usually as long as you have good filters you will have enough water movement thus have plenty of O2. The warmer the water the more movement you will need to increase O2.

There's a fairly convenient and relatively inexpensive electronic meter we use in the lab for measuring DO. That said, we only need it because we maintain fish-farm level stocking density and thus actually need to be sure of dissolved oxygen. It's just not something the home aquarist needs to know because if you follow good stocking guidelines it will never, ever be an issue.

got another one for u...i was really interested in building a diy moving bed filter so i did but i could only get the ceramic ring media at the local pet store, using this the media does not really move lol...should i just forget it or it will serve the same purpose as the moving plastic media ?

Back
Top Bottom