New Setup and looking for some good advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roscoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Planing to upgrade lighting on a recently purchased Eclipse 1 hood. Read of many available options but looking for advice. The 2 x 13 watt Deluxe Bright Kit (http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm) looks great but will it fit? Also if i get the 32 watt PowerCompact retrofit will i need to worry about co2? Filtration modifications?

I currently have a brackish setup sg 1.012
10 gal 20"x10"x11"
15 watt powerglo bulb
50 watt heater
2" natural gravel
tetratec ap200 air pump w/ air stone

Java fern
Anubias
1 unknown
some drift wood

spotted puffer
3 feeder guppies

I was told some hardy plants will do alright in a brackish tank. So i grabbed a few. The plants where just recently added to the tank but they seem to be doing fine with a sg at 1.012 and the ph at 7.8. The nitrates tend to get high but i was told once the tank gets established i can lose the Bio-wheel and stop the nitrates. With out the bio-wheel will the plants handle the bio load?

I am thinking about adding co2.

Have you heard of creating co2 using a 2 liter bottle, sugar and yeast? Does it work? Read that on a web page (http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/kelly-intro.html) check it out. What to you think?

I also got some misc aquarium plant bulbs from the LFS.Only 5 of 10 sprouted and do not seem to be doing very well but hope to kick start them with some new lighting.

If thats a ten gallon tank, the 32 AH Supply will be a great light. But I don't know if its reflector will fit in the hood or get too warm. You could talk to Kim at AH. I have two 32 watt AH lights on a ten and an 18 and the plants grow great. I built my own wood enclosures per AH design plans.

Personally, I think tens are too small for much of a planted tank. The CO2 will work great. Just get a Hagen ladder for about 5 or 6 bucks and some airline hose and silicone to seal the drilled hole in the cap. the recipe for 2 liters is 2 cups of sugar. 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and bread yeast, with 6 cups of H2O. Good Luck and welcome to AA!

Brackish plants, from what I've read:

Anubias, barteri, barteri nana
Valiseneria americana, (jungle val, way too big for a 10 gallon)
Saggitaria subulata , one other can't recall right now
Java Fern
Water Sprite
Green Hygro
Giant Hygro

Back
Top Bottom