New setup: goldfish or cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hope it's okay, but I'm going to post this in 2 areas to get the attention of 2 different audiences.

I am helping my sister set up her first aquarium, probably between 55 and 65 gallons. She has never kept fish before and doesn't want to spend a ton of money on unnecessary maintenance (ie planted tank).

So, I thought either a lake Malawi cichlids tank or a goldfish tank, neither of which have I kept. Which of these 2 would you think are best for the beginner aquarist?

Africans are very hardy and tolerant to different water conditions . I think they are much cooler to look at than gold fish. It's fun to watch them change as they mature as well

I'm gunna be the odd man out and say goldies! A planted goldfish tank is awesome. Plus African cichlids seem so overdone, IMO.

No they're probably not but then cichlids arn't particularly hard to keep either. To be honest i would call it even on care but goldfish wouldn't need a heater. Cichlids if mbuna would ideally require a nice rock formation too, which could be expensive. Cichlids cost more than goldfish but they arnt expensive by any means either.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/ you can even use your browser! :)

Last edited:
IMO Africans are so much cooler, way more personality and there are so many varieties. They never get boring

Goldfish aren't harder to keep its just to me and I think most people they are very boring for how much space they need.

I've read cichlids should be either stocked heavily or only a few. How many would you recommend in a 55 to 65?

Depends what type of chiclids, I'm no chiclid expert but I know different types are different sizes and need different thing in the tank

Back
Top Bottom