New setup- need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattylaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm new to the forum so this is my first time posting! I'm planning a build for either a new 75 or 125 tank. I'm planning on incorporating a simp which will be my first time doing this style of filtration. The issue I'm running into is my output to the sump. I've been tossing around an idea of building two diy 5 gallon canister filters (one for each end of the tank) using 1 1/2 inch pvc, running the water through the canisters, and including return pumps on the canister, but instead of returning the back into the tank I want to use this as the input to my sump filter. Then after going through the sump a return pump would push the water back up into the DT. I know I would have to look at the gph I was getting from the canisters and make sure it worked with my return pump at the sump. The main reason I considered this option is not having to worry about the fright of an overflow losing siphon, as well as of course increasing filtration substantially. Since canisters are gravity fed I'm assuming as long as I drilled a hole in the input of the canister that is in the tank slightly below water level that in the event of a power outage no water would flow from the tank to the sump and everything would level out. If anyone could give me some ideas about this or some clarification if I'm missing something that would be awesome! Thanks!

Welcome! That setup you are describing sounds complicated.

Complicated is an understatement. It would be easier to drill the tank and install bulkhead fittings. Gravity would deliver the water to the sump.

I've decided to either buy a pre drilled or drill my own tank after some consideration. I was just trying to toss some things around to increase filtration and avoid using overflows without drilling. But, after the consideration drilling seems like the much easier idea lol this is why I asked for input because things always become more clear when it's passed by others!

If I understand what you're saying correctly, it won't work. You won't be able to get multiple pumps to move water exactly the same and you'll overflow your tank or sump in time. If you have a good sump setup, you won't have any need at all for the canisters.

That's what I decided as well, I am going to put the time and funds into my sump. I was just trying to increase filtration capacity and the need to drill my tank and use overflows. But since I've decided to drill I can focus on the sump. Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not new to the hobby, but new to this extensive of a build and using a sump.

When you plumb your tank, put a ball valve piece on the return side so you can fine-tune your cycle rate. It also helps you stop the gurgling noise from the drain side. You gonna do a sump or a wet/dry?

That's a decision I'm still contemplating, I'm leaning towards a sump because I like the idea of doing a refugium. You think a 55 gallon will be suitable for 125 gallon tank?

Oh, yeah. That's plenty. There are a pot of cool things you can do with a FW refugium.

Never having built one before leaves me with a ton of research to do. I'm excited for it, but have to learn a lot before I do it. Have any good advice or suggestions?

Check facebook groups in your area. One you decide how you want to do it, you may be able find someone to put in the baffles for you.

Back
Top Bottom