Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New Snail- :) or :(

So i was watching my tank today and i noticed my tiger nerite snail halfway out of the water. i thought it was odd, mostly cuz hes never ever on the glass. anyway, i pushed him down below the water line and he moved about 3 in down the glass and i thought nothing of it. in 15 minutes or so, he was chomping my DW and it was all normal. then i saw a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail. yes, i know its a snail and not just a trick of the light. hes the only one i could see so far, is a tiger nerite, and is looking healthy. im only wondering, how many more could be coming? my tank is FW and ive heard they only breed in SW. it was only one snail until now. any ideas or thoughts? i dont want to be overrun with snails.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

When was the last time you added plants?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

New Snail- or ?

It may depend on how you feel about Pond snails (physa acuta).

"a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail" . Uh Oh. In my experience, Pond snails, physa acuta, are the relative Speed Demons of the snail world, covering 3 - 4 body-lengths per second.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.waffles1842 View Post
So i was watching my tank today and i noticed my tiger nerite snail halfway out of the water. i thought it was odd, mostly cuz hes never ever on the glass. anyway, i pushed him down below the water line and he moved about 3 in down the glass and i thought nothing of it. in 15 minutes or so, he was chomping my DW and it was all normal. then i saw a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail. yes, i know its a snail and not just a trick of the light. hes the only one i could see so far, is a tiger nerite, and is looking healthy. im only wondering, how many more could be coming? my tank is FW and ive heard they only breed in SW. it was only one snail until now. any ideas or thoughts? i dont want to be overrun with snails.
Nerites breed in BW. It's most likely a pond snail or ramshorn that hitchhiked in somehow.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Nerites breed in BW. It's m^ost likely a pond snail or ramshorn that hitchhiked in somehow.

2nd this they do bred in brackish water and they only need brackish between 1.005 and 1.010 my tap water comes out at 1.008. My point is it doesn't take alot of salt to be in their range so if you add any salt or if your tap water is like mine you could have brackish water and not know it

Hope this helps
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i added those fish gel tubes a day after i found the snail. the baby looks like a tiger nerite, save that he has a darker shell. i added aquarium salt a couple days ago for a small case of ick...
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ps, never added a plant from a bag for 2 weeks and that was just java moss.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
ps, never added a plant from a bag for 2 weeks and that was just java moss.
Oh, 2 weeks is easily enough time for a tiny agg to have made it into the tank and hatched into the teeny tiny snail you now see. Easily.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sad face.... what should i do? im still not sure if it even is bad. i cant even find the thing, flitting through the plants. im still fairly certain its a nerite!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
sad face.... what should i do? im still not sure if it even is bad. i cant even find the thing, flitting through the plants. im still fairly certain its a nerite!
Why do you think its a nerite? Shell shape? Color? You said it looked like a zebra nerite, but darker.

Tags
snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com