New stocking ideas. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am going to re home my fish which are inappropriate for my tank size. Now I ll have 3 Angels and one small pearl Gourami and one small ghost in a 50 gallon. Please suggest me can I keep any other fish in this tank or will it be overstocked?

If I can then what u advise? I read black neon tetras are fine with Angels and Angels can't eat them because they are big than neon tetras. Can I keep them and how many? Or any other small fish u suggest like red eye tetra or anything else?

With the ghost in there it's a little harder to recommend smaller fish, because eventually it will be big enough to eat them :/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would rehomw the ghost too, cause it gets huge and needs a bigger tank, it's always easier getting rid of a smaller fish. If you want a knife, then a African brown knife would be much better suit that tank size, they only get 6 in.

As for black neons, yes they are fine with angels. That's what o keep with my angels, but with three angels, it's very likely you'll get a pair and pairs are bullies to almost anything else, the pair will also bully the lone angel to death. A single angel is usally better to keep.

With the ghost in there it's a little harder to recommend smaller fish, because eventually it will be big enough to eat them :/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yes I know but since they grow slow so I have a lot of time before re homing him and can enjoy some small fish in my tank.
I would rehomw the ghost too, cause it gets huge and needs a bigger tank, it's always easier getting rid of a smaller fish. If you want a knife, then a African brown knife would be much better suit that tank size, they only get 6 in.

As for black neons, yes they are fine with angels. That's what o keep with my angels, but with three angels, it's very likely you'll get a pair and pairs are bullies to almost anything else, the pair will also bully the lone angel to death. A single angel is usally better to keep.
Thanks. I love black Ghost more and as they grow slow so I have a lot of time. Thanks for the advice about black neons and Angels. So suppose if I add one more angel? Will that be a good idea? That will make them 4 and please suggest what other small fish u think are appropriate other than black neons. I mean fish who look vibrant but compatabile with my tank. Thanks

What does your PH normally run? I've always thought that Cardinal Tetras were cool, but I believe they like neutral or slightly acidic PH and softer water. I could be wrong though; tetras aren't really my thing. Serpae tetras look good too, though, IMO.

What does your PH normally run? I've always thought that Cardinal Tetras were cool, but I believe they like neutral or slightly acidic PH and softer water. I could be wrong though; tetras aren't really my thing. Serpae tetras look good too, though, IMO.
Black neons are very hardy as compared to neons or cardinals. My PH is about 7 so black Neons will be fine I guess.

Honestly, most of those readily available schooling fish can adapt pretty readily to just about any reasonable water parameters. I have overall had excellent luck with black neons. I have lost a couple over the years, but not many. A lot of it depends on the stock you get.
A couple other options are gold or cherry barbs. They are bright, and not nippy like tiger barbs. Any of the skirt tetras work too. They actually get pretty decently sized, but you could keep a small school in a 50g with those other fish no problem. If you want any fish for the bottom, I would look art cories. I don't think they would bug your ghost too much and they are pretty adorable.
If you want a school, I suggest starting with 6-8. I have started doing 8 as a base for schools. Really, a couple extra little tetras is not much of a tax on the bioload of the tank and they tend to shoal up much better in larger groups.
I also agree with the other info about watching out for your angels being bullies, but it sounds like you are prepared for fixing that issue when it comes along. Full grown angels often give you decent fish store credit.

Honestly, most of those readily available schooling fish can adapt pretty readily to just about any reasonable water parameters. I have overall had excellent luck with black neons. I have lost a couple over the years, but not many. A lot of it depends on the stock you get.
A couple other options are gold or cherry barbs. They are bright, and not nippy like tiger barbs. Any of the skirt tetras work too. They actually get pretty decently sized, but you could keep a small school in a 50g with those other fish no problem. If you want any fish for the bottom, I would look art cories. I don't think they would bug your ghost too much and they are pretty adorable.
If you want a school, I suggest starting with 6-8. I have started doing 8 as a base for schools. Really, a couple extra little tetras is not much of a tax on the bioload of the tank and they tend to shoal up much better in larger groups.
I also agree with the other info about watching out for your angels being bullies, but it sounds like you are prepared for fixing that issue when it comes along. Full grown angels often give you decent fish store credit.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Very very helpful post. Love the tetras and barbs you mentioned. I think tetras are more peaceful. Please let me know what do you mean by art cories? I Google and get no result on this fish.

Back
Top Bottom