New stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. If you read my previous threads you'll note that an unidentified disease (most likely TB) had swept though pretty much all of my tank. I quarantined the last victim several days before it's death, and I haven't seen any signs of it since (it's been about a month now... maybe a little more.) I have a few survivors including 2 gold barbs (initially 5), 1 neon tetra (initially 6), 1 danio (initially 6) and 3 kuhli loaches (no deaths.) Anyway I was on the verge of euthanizing my entire stock because TB is pretty much indestructible and can spread to humans too, but I think I quarantined it at the point where it was too early to be transmitted to another host since the host it was currently in at the time had just been infected.

I'm gonna wait a bit longer to make sure, but I'm thinking about turning these fish in to a fish store type of area near my house. So until then I have time to think about what my next stock will be, and I figured some online assistance would be helpful.

Basically I'm in the mindset of giving my tank a fresh start, in terms of stocking and atmosphere. It's a 40 gallon with a pretty ugly fluorescent light, has a blend of old algae covered fake plants and dying real ones, and the whole thing looks pretty worn down. I'm thinking about switching up the "genre" from a diverse community of small schooling fish to one with a central, larger, and singular fish that would be big but still fits the tank's standards. I looked into blood parrots but I read that they're genetically modified which would mean they're more susceptible to disease, and after years of battling this disease and spending dozens of dollars on ineffective medications and having it wipe through so much of my fish, you can say I've had my fill of diseases. My dad raised angels and discus in the past in his 72 gallon and I had the privilege to watch and not have to care for them but they seem like quite a hassle. I was looking into some green spotted puffers which are a unique alternative and they grow quite large, but if anyone has any ideas for single or maybe a set of relatively large fish that can still be in a 40 then please let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Lucky, personally I am a fan of loaches and as you already have 3 kuhli loaches ,why don't you make it a full loach tank . Also you can make it a full African cichlid or rainbow (all varieties) tank . If you want to keep solitary fishes go for elephant nose or albino Senegal bichir(they are carnivorous )
Or Arowana.

Hi Lucky, personally I am a fan of loaches and as you already have 3 kuhli loaches ,why don't you make it a full loach tank . Also you can make it a full African cichlid or rainbow (all varieties) tank . If you want to keep solitary fishes go for elephant nose or albino Senegal bichir(they are carnivorous )
Or Arowana.

I think arowanas might get a bit large for a 40 gallon but I will look the others up. Thanks

Anyone else have any suggestions

An african butterfly fish with a leopard ctenopoma would be nice. There are some smaller freshwater puffers that might interest you. I like the south american puffer because it's one of the more peaceful species.

An african butterfly fish with a leopard ctenopoma would be nice. There are some smaller freshwater puffers that might interest you. I like the south american puffer because it's one of the more peaceful species.

Those all seem interesting!

The leopard bush fish seem to prefer 50+ gallons I believe, so I may stick to the puffer family. I hear puffers get agressive though so having one would perfectly match what I want and what the puffer wants

Back
Top Bottom