New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Race2d

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that has been up and running for about three weeks now it have 4 small feeder goldfish and 2 small plecos in it. I am running a marineland Bio wheel 70 hob filter and a aquatech 70 hob on it I also have three airstones in the tank. I am trying to get the tank to cycle faster that's why I used feeder goldfish but now all of a sudden my ammonia has spike and went to 3ppm and I can't get it to come down I also have what's looks to be brown algae forming anyone have any ideas I thought the tank would have cycled by now. I also used the API stress zyme when setting up and double the dose like the bottle said I am stumped and ideas would be great

What do you plan on doing with these goldfish? Have you done any water changes? Doing fish-in cycling is no faster than fishless cycling using ammonia. ALOT of large pwcs are necessary to bring down your ammonia levels but they may never come down because you are overstocked with 3 goldfish & 2 plecos. You will need to do large, daily pwcs to get things under control. This is only the ammonia phase-the nitrite phase takes twice as long. It typically takes 4-6wks to do a fishless cycle & 6-8wks doing a fish-in cycle. Please read up on fish-in cycling & see if you can possibly get some seeded/live media from someone with an established tank to help your tank along.

Race2d said:
So I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that has been up and running for about three weeks now it have 4 small feeder goldfish and 2 small plecos in it. I am running a marineland Bio wheel 70 hob filter and a aquatech 70 hob on it I also have three airstones in the tank. I am trying to get the tank to cycle faster that's why I used feeder goldfish but now all of a sudden my ammonia has spike and went to 3ppm and I can't get it to come down I also have what's looks to be brown algae forming anyone have any ideas I thought the tank would have cycled by now. I also used the API stress zyme when setting up and double the dose like the bottle said I am stumped and ideas would be great

The brown algae is just diatoms common in new tanks and will go away in time as for your cycle everyone is different there is no book just pwc until you see you nitrates test twice a day and pwc as needed

Well I have a friend that wants them so why can't I just go buy some pure ammonia and start a fishless cycle

So what just dose it up to like the form on it says

Race2d said:

Exactly and try to keep it at the ppm the thread says but measure how much you put in to reach the proper ppm then you know exactly how much to add the next time

Or if you have a friend with an established tank ask if you can have some filter media and then you can start stocking your tank slowly

Yes, go buy some ammonia & rehome your fish esp because you dont plan on keeping them anyway. Ace Hardware ammonia is the best to use but some others can be used if theres no additives (surfectants, perfumes, etc). Dose to 4ppm daily (your already at 3pmm-it will take very little) & check your water daily for amm/nitrites/nitrates/ph. See if your friend can lend you some filter media or gravel (put in piece of pantyhose) to help speed things along. Ask questions if you are unsure about anything!

So the plecos need to come out to right

So the plecos need to come out to right
If your going to dose with ammonia, yes, they must come out or you will kill them with the amm. Your other option would be to keep the plecos & just do a fish-in cycle with them but you still will be facing lots of pwcs.

What would you do at this point have no where to put the plecos

Maybe take the goldfish out and just use the two plecos

Ok well I did a 50% water change and took the goldfish out all I have in now is plecos and should I just get the ammonia down and just do the fish in cycle with the two plecos

Yes, if you want to keep the plecos! Test your water & see how the amm/nitrite read-if they are above .25, do another 50% pwc and keep up with them to keep your fish alive & healthy (this may be daily).

I mean since I have ammonia now it means the cycle has started right? And do I need yo find another source of ammonia or will the plecos be enough I also have live plants that's another reason I don't want to use pure ammonia

Race2d said:
I mean since I have ammonia now it means the cycle has started right? And do I need yo find another source of ammonia or will the plecos be enough I also have live plants that's another reason I don't want to use pure ammonia

Yes it has begun. The ammonia in the tank will be enough. Now just sit back and let time take its course :)

Back
Top Bottom