New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking of buying a 29g tank. Questions on which tank setup to buy, sand and plants.

Thinking of buying Marineland (Aquaria) AMLPFK29B Biowheel Aquarium Kit with LED Light, 29-Gallon.....thoughts?

Have sand saved from tank I had about 5 years ago. Sand is stored in an old tank in basement. Can I still use this sand in new tank? Ok for Cory cats?

Interested in having live plants, when do I add, how many and any special care involved?

Thanks,
David E.

I'm not a fan of kits. The lights are generally inadequate for live plants and the plastic hoods prevent adding light without replacing the whole top. Your local Petco may be having their $1/gallon sale so you could get the bare tank for $30 and put together your own setup with better components. I'd suggest pricing both ways before deciding.

What kind of sand is it? Some is meant for saltwater only (crushed shells) while some can be used for freshwater (any inert sand).

I don't remember what kind of sand, bought it from petco..

So what would be good/adequate components to buy? Or just ask an associate?

Thanks

Personally I prefer to run Canister on my 29g for CO2 purposes.

I won't buy a kit if it's for planted tank, except if the kit come with at least dual t8 lighting.

I made the mistake of buying a kit and now the only thing left from the kit is the tank and heater.

I bought new T5 lighting a new canopy and 2-new Fluval HOB filters.

I made the mistake of buying a kit and now the only thing left from the kit is the tank and heater.

I bought new T5 lighting a new canopy and 2-new Fluval HOB filters.

Lol man, The only thing that I have left from my kit is the heater and the tank and the stand, just like you.

I replaced the HOB filter by Eheim canister, Replaced the light for 2xT5HO, didn't used the included substrate. Kits are great for fish only tanks, you can buy big tanks for cheap and keep big fishs.

So I just wasted a lot of bucks on a light fixture, filtration and more that I don't use !!! Frustrating ! If I could get back in the past, I know what I would do.

Glass canopy, I love my Eheim Jager heater but there are other good ones, plant light (Aquatic Life and ZooMed are good), and if you like the biowheel, there is no reason you couldn't get the Marineland HOB. Pretty much everything but the tank is cheaper online and and you'll have loads more selection. PetSmart online is having a good sale right now, BTW.

Back
Top Bottom