New Tank - 29g long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I wondering what you would recommend to put in this tank (fish wise).
It's all setup to go, cycled.

I've put in fake plants because I didn't know what to put for the type of live plants and also because some fish may uproot them. So to not worry about this I went with those fake plants which are all green and almost look very real. I'm also using a Marineland Penguin 200, which I find kind of loud compared to the Aqua-Tech I've been using from Walmart for my 10g (Male Betta) and 5g (Male Betta). Oh well.

Anyways, I just can't decide what to put in it. I've checked out this site for choices Community Tank Suggestions** You have set
But it doesn't help me much because some I've heard some are not very compatible with others etc..

I also received a request from my young kids :))) to get at least one big fish which I assume would be like a Gouramis, Silver Dollar etc...
Myself, I don't really mind what to put in it. Just as long as they are nice looking fish (colourful) and active.

Can I get some suggestions from you all? which would also include the bottom feeders.

Thanks, really appreciated!

It's my personal preference but the False Julii Cory Cat (pic found here) is very very cool to see at the bottom of your tank. Besides that I would not recommend getting a pleco because they get so darn big. Otherwise, the gourami is a lovely choice because of the beautiful colors. =)

Silver dollars make me nervous because they also can get big. My local pet store has a big tank with about 10 and most of them are like 4-6 inches top to bottom. But again, it's a personal preference to stay away from them.

Last edited:
ram cichlids are good but need a well established tank.Neon or cardinal tetras are fine.Congo tetras are good but it is the same with the ram.

Well it looks like I might have decided on what to get but first I need to know this (stupid) question.
If I get livebearers, will I eventually get frys?
I'm asking this because I was thinking of getting a Dwarf Gourami or a Pearl with some Guppies and maybe another kind as well.

So I don't really want to have some babies. No room for them :(

Should I go with Tetras instead just to be safe?

Thanks

It is my understanding that if you don't want baby fry, then get all males or all females (usually fight less than males, but you lose out on some colors and variations). It's up to you.

Then again, I do love Tetras.

Well I went with the Tetras (Black Neons) 8 of them to start off. I tried feeding them lastnight for the first time and only maybe one or two ate some Flake Food, now should I be concerned?
Should I try another type of Flake Food or just something else?
These guys look scared everytime I go close to the tank, is it because they're alone in there in a big tank?
I didn't feed them this morning thinking maybe I should wait a little longer like later this evening to try again since that's what I do with my two other Bettas I have (yes separete tanks 5g & 10g).

Also, I was thinking of getting some Rams with them since I like what I saw at the LFS (Big Al's) which had some Black Neons with them as a display tank and with some Gouramis, coulnd't tell what kind though.

So the setup I would like to have is:
8 Black Neons Tetras (already have)
2-3 Bolivian Rams
1-2 Pearl Gouramis
8 Another type of Tetra
3-4 Corys

Would this work well together?
Is it too much?, Not Enough?

I would keep the rams and cories for your last additions. The rams need an established tank and the cories would benefit from an established tank also. Cories dig through the substrate looking for uneaten food and other bits to munch on. In a new tank the cories won't have much to eat other than what you give them at feeding time.

I would say you are at the higher end of stocking a 29g. I would maybe add some more black neons and ditch the other group of 8 tetras. You could then bump the number of cories up to 6 or so. As far as gourami's... I have personally had bad experiences adding 2 males into the same tank. I would recommend that you add only one male, or do a pair (m/f). Like I said, this is my personal experience, others will tell you they have 4 in the same tank with no problems. It really comes down to the temperament of the fish. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the info meegosh.

Those black neons are finally eating after doing some research they prefer having their flakes crushed in tiny pieces (mouth size) instead of them trying to rip apart a piece from a bigger piece. So that's resolved :)

Now to add some more fish in there, been testing the water everyday for any changes, everything is going great!

Hey Sean,

I have a 30G long that I am in the process of stocking similarly to yours (Bolivian Rams are my showpiece fish). You can check out my thread for questions on compatible fish, plants, lighting, and decor! It looks like you're on the right track so keep up the good work.

Thanks taylorodw, yours looks great too!

I added 4 more Black Neon Tetras and 3 Bolavian Rams which I was finally was able to find in my region. I had tried both Big Al's (East & West), then tried Petsmart not far from Big Al's, nothing. Then I found them at another Petsmart a little further east, they had 5 and small two so I have no idea what their sexes are. I have a slight idea what to look for, just hope they don't produce any. :)
Oh and they ate the flakes I gave to all of them, crushed some for the Neons and left some bigger pieces for the Rams at the bottom.

Next will be the Corys which I might have to wait a week or two?
I'm still debating on what else to get for a middle swimmer(s), Gouramis are so so. Pearl? Dwarf? Flame Dwarf? (does looked nice) or maybe none at all.

What to do what to do :)

Here are some pics before fishes.
img_1036891_0_0212bee8fb5a02cf6154a1c672206b69.jpg

img_1036891_1_17d60b34ac2de9f27fd7f8ef57c4f740.jpg

img_1036891_2_aaa458b5d9d8d56193253107e95243f8.jpg

Looking good! Keep us updated! Just remember to stock slowly and keep watching your parameters.

Thanks guys :)
I also recently purchased some walmart ($6) timers for my aquarium lights so they can turn on at 3pm and turn off at 10pm. Seven hours on should be ok with fake plants. Maybe in a few weeks or more, I'll purchase some more fishies :)
And the tank is a bit cloudy right now, been like it for about a week now but everything is fine.

Claudy... after few days it will be clear. Bacterias need some time. If you have fake plants, you do not not need 7 hours of light. But it'll work OK.

Thanks guys :)
I also recently purchased some walmart ($6) timers for my aquarium lights so they can turn on at 3pm and turn off at 10pm. Seven hours on should be ok with fake plants. Maybe in a few weeks or more, I'll purchase some more fishies :)
And the tank is a bit cloudy right now, been like it for about a week now but everything is fine.

Back
Top Bottom