New Tank. 5 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a filter for that tank. It wasn't a planned thing. I was going to buy the filter this month and buy the tank next month and then we are moving. But I am getting it for 50 bucks so I can't resist

So vacuumed a tank for the first time. Ever. And being that I am a 22 year old female bear with me I am prone to exaggeration but that was ridiculously hard!! I watched all these you tube videos and they made it look so flippin easy. I took three gallons out. And that's not an exaggeration. Had to move the pleco three times because he was so freaked out because you need to go to a freakin class for gravel cleaning. For those of you who think my fish are alive because of my learning ability you guys are dead wrong. My two probably wish they were back at the pet store. Lol.

Bahaha, it gets easier over time! I remember the first time I vacuumed, water everywhere and lots of colourful language. You should only need to take out 20% of the water from the tank.

Lol. So three out of seven lets be easy and say 40%. Math isn't my thing. My husband who understands all that sorts stuff had just said watch the water so it doesn't overflow said I got it. Yea my one gallon overflowed and he tried so hard not to laugh at me. Didn't work. So we got the old three gallon tank and it was about half way full. Needless to say I didn't have three gallons ready only one so I put that in the tank and then made a another batch of water. Why do water changes when I can just vacuum my tank out? Seriously. Would it be ok for me to vacuum it out every third day or does that stunt bacteria growth?

Lol. So three out of seven lets be easy and say 40%. Math isn't my thing. My husband who understands all that sorts stuff had just said watch the water so it doesn't overflow said I got it. Yea my one gallon overflowed and he tried so hard not to laugh at me. Didn't work. So we got the old three gallon tank and it was about half way full. Needless to say I didn't have three gallons ready only one so I put that in the tank and then made a another batch of water. Why do water changes when I can just vacuum my tank out? Seriously. Would it be ok for me to vacuum it out every third day or does that stunt bacteria growth?

Just gravel vac once a week and it will remove your 20% of water. Thats how you keep ammonia down, you need to get the poo out. Unless your talking about a tank with no fish, therefor no poo,

Just gravel vac once a week and it will remove your 20% of water. Thats how you keep ammonia down, you need to get the poo out. Unless your talking about a tank with no fish, therefor no poo,

I have been doing it twice a week since I have a pleco in a small tank. Have decided to give it to a friend once he moves into his house and gets his tank settled again. And there is a betta in there but his "carbon footprint" is nothing compared to my pleco.

Ahhhh I see, ya common plecos are crazy big, there are so many better options. Here's one of my babies.

Attachments

• image-3224533516.jpg
    image-3224533516.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 29
Just making sure lol. What's his tank size and how big does he get? I am giving my guy to a friend but they are moving June 12 th so I am saying like a week for them to get the fish they already have settled. But I do like them and enjoy catching mine out and about when I can

Back
Top Bottom