NEW Tank advice???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'll set out what I've got first;

230l Tank
Undergravel filter +
Small internal filter - interpet PF3(136L)
5th week of cycle -

Few questions, my gravel is turning yellow? Good/bad??
I've read that I shouldn't put the carbon part of my PF3 in during the cycle, is this true?

Thanks for any help.

i dont run carbon in my tanks unless i am trying to take out meds. it only is active a couple weeks at most. it wouldnt hurt the cycle or anything but wont help anything. what kind of gravel?

I have experience with UGFs (undergravel filters) and after years I finally went to a canister filter and removed the UGF completely. I would strongly consider this move as it make tank cleaning easier and eliminates the inevitable full-tank tear-down to remove all the gunk from underneath the plates.

Either get a correctly sized HOB (hang on back) or canister, either should be big enough to support your bio-load requirements, not just the recommended tank size.

As for Carbon, I don't use it in my tanks either because U have live plants. I agree with mgamer20o0 that it's short lived. Instead, I use Seachem Purigen, which removes dissolved organics and has minimal impact on trace minerals that plants require, plus it's 'rechargeable'. Right now I'm about 1/2 way through month 5 without a recharge, but it's due because my Nitrates are staying 20-40ppm, whereas in the beginning they were never above 20.

I agree 100% on no UGF, it is just a buildup place from crud. Get a good HOB or even better a canister if you can afford one. You dont need carbon in my opinion. Some ceramic rings or such to hold bacteria and some fiber floss to polish the water and you are good to go.

I was planning on getting rid of the UGF and buying a tetratec EX 700 (when i've got the cash), Has anyone owned one of these filters and are they any good?

I used the gravel that i brought from my lfs, It's proper aquarium gravel... Why would it be turning yellow?

Diatoms are more of a brown than a yellow. I am thinking it is an algae of some type. How much light and what kind of light are you using?

I'm useing two 9w Lights, my tanks isn't in direct sunlight and i do switch them off at night. Also the waters very clear and i have no other sign of algy growth elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom