New Tank, advice needed on Air Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevMe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I just bought a 20 G tank, which came with a carbon filter and heater. I have started the cycling process by adding a couple of hardy fishes.

I plan to keep Discuses somewhere down the line (after abt a week). I have a question for group.

Do i need to buy a Air pump, is it really needed or the carbon filter will do the job of aereating water?

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks

Rev

First off Welcome to AA!

I personally don't keep discus but I do know a week won't be enough for your tank to be cycled. Since you have chosen to do a fish cycle, you will need a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You will need to do several water changes, don't gravel vac. Test your parameters at least every 2 days and do pwc's as necessary. Ammonia and nitrite are poisionous to fish and discus are sensitive fish for sure, so you will want the tank to be fully cycled before you start adding discus. Several members here keep discus and will chime in I am sure about their care and needs. Not sure if discus like lots of currents or not.

An airstone will be needed unless you have a hob filter that creates surface aggitation. Otherwise, it is fine. The carbon will not do anything for airation. It is the surface aggitation that does it.

Discus can only be added to a completly cycled tank and water parameters should be perfect. Plus, I do not believe that 20 gal is large enough for Discus. Do a search within AA for more info. Or, you PM BrianNY, he's full of Discus info. :D

Thanks a lot for the advice guys,

To speed up the cyling process I added cycle from Nutrafin, also the filter that I have is hob type, which takes water out from the aquarium, does some processing and then puts back in. So in that case I dont need a air pump rite?

Lastly, I was planning on keeping just 4-5 small discuses and then watch them grow over time. Do u think a 20 gallon wud suffice?

Rev

FWIW Cycle does nothing to speed up your cycle. I've used it as have many other members and it does not work.

Agreed, the cycle product does not work to speed up the cycle. The only "market" product that does this is Bio-Spira. Discus do need a larger than 20 gal tank. I have read a pair will fit in a 55 or 75 gal tank.

Too bad, the only reason I bought the tank was to be a proud discus owner one day. I guess will have to settle down with something else :(.

Thanks for the reply

Rev

Agreed, but the only reason I was tempted to buy an aquarium was the discus ;).
Currently I am considering couple of clowns, yellow tangs and Angels.

Rev

If you are interested in setting up a saltwater tank, try posting on the saltwater forum. They give great advice over there. From what I've read, a 20 gal tank is not really idea for saltwater unless only keeping 1 or two fish. And the fish that can be kept in a tank of that size is limited.

Simply for the sake of fairness, I used Cycle on my two tanks. It did absolutely nothing for my first tank. However, it did significantly accelerate the cycling of my second tank.

Back
Top Bottom