New Tank and need help! Swirling particles in tanks water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReverentCowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i am hoping there is an easy fix floating particles or water minerals in my tank?

I just set up 40gb 2 days ago and took many hours cleaning gravel, rocks, Decorations and tank. I also cleaned the filters and heater and everything else. I have floating particles in the top middle area where the filtration Emperor 400 is flowing. It kind of looks like and blends in with the small bubbles coming from stream of filtration. But it seems they are little tiny minerals from the water or possibly dirt or shavings from the back plastic strip. I really dont know. It looks just like a glass of water looks like when you pour it out of the tap and you see all those minerals swilring around in glass or bubbles or whatever it is.

I don't have a water softener in my house and there really is no filtration to speak of on my tap water. When i filled up my tank i used my faucet hooked up to hose but did not have any aerator installed between the faucet adapter and hose.

I have had filter running 2 days and it doesn't seem to be getting reduced or going away at all. I want to start adding fish but am worried about these particles. My tank should be crystal clear not have little tiny things rolling in
the water.

I odered Marineland Diamond charcoal to put in the 2nd other filtration plastic trap thing next to filters on the Emperor 400. That is coming hopefully today. Is there something else to put in these filter traps that could remove the particles from the water during filtration?

I need them gone right away as I want to very much add fish and start the cycling process. I plan on buyng a bunch of fish sat bc of a big sale on fish and want to add a few a few days before hand to start tank cycling before adding a bunch of new fish.

Please someone tell me how to get rid of these small bubble like things in my water? :nono::nono::nono:
Also, if you can tell me what they are too!!! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
A picture would be helpful. Are they tiny air bubbles coming from the outflow of the filter or are they actually detritus particles? It's very common for small air bubbles to be present when a tank is first filled but these dissipate in a couple days. Sometimes filters can cause micro bubbles. If you have actual detritus then you can add some Polyfill to the filter which will filter out smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets.

I also don't understand how your going to cycle. Are you doing a fish in cycle or fishless cycle? If your doing a fish in cycle you need to read this article, I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice, and be sure to have an API test kit so you can monitor ammonia and nitrites daily and do a 50% WC anytime either rise above .25ppm.

A picture would be helpful. Are they tiny air bubbles coming from the outflow of the filter or are they actually detritus particles? It's very common for small air bubbles to be present when a tank is first filled but these dissipate in a couple days. Sometimes filters can cause micro bubbles. If you have actual detritus then you can add some Polyfill to the filter which will filter out smaller and smaller particles the dirtier it gets.

I also don't understand how your going to cycle. Are you doing a fish in cycle or fishless cycle? If your doing a fish in cycle you need to read this article, I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice, and be sure to have an API test kit so you can monitor ammonia and nitrites daily and do a 50% WC anytime either rise above .25ppm.

Thanks for the link. When i get some time i will try to read. I put in API Quick Start with tap conditioner and wanted to put fish in 24 hours after i set it up.

The particles look just like the little tiny bubbles.

So my thinking to add Polyfill to the tank is the only way to remove them? What brand of polyfill do you suggest? I never bought any and dont remember seeing it anywhere.
Where can I find this? Pet store or arts and craft place like Michael's?

What type of fish do you keep in your 220gallon tank?

I am getting ready to build a stand for a 220gallon tank and hopefully will have tank in 2 weeks but am not exactly sure whether to buy it reef ready or not? I am leaning to spend the extra $235 and have a 220g reef ready and just hook up a Fluval FX6 to the overflow bulkheads. Maybe split it to both instead of using 2 filters. This is what the pet supply owner said i could do?

Is $735 220g and $950 220g reef ready good pricing. This pet supply is only 3 miles from me so it is convenient.

What filtration do you use on 220g?
WHat Lights?

It is funny how I am planning 220g tank and contemplating to make the jump and buy tank and then you are the first to reply to me today and you have a 220g tank and I have been thinking all morning about finally ordering the tank today. I just want the stand done before I have to bring tank home and if i order now they will get it in on Wed. So I am thinking the following Wednesday i could be done with stand and canopy hopefully.

reading article now. thanks....

You can by a large bag of 100% Polyfill for around $7 at Michael's.

Here is a link with my 220g info... January 2013 TOTM: Rivercats' 220 gallon Planted Community - Aquarium Advice. The scaping has changed since this article and I've added pressurized CO2 but all the other info is still correct.

Nice tank setup. Looks like you have lots of years experience. so i will ask you what is best and fastest way to cycle tank.
I am thinking about picking up some goldfish when i buy the polyfill later and adding a dozen goldfish to help jumpstart my tanks cycle. Then on saturday I will bring them back to petstore and return them and get fish i desire. Store is having 50% of sale on fish and I want to buy a bunch of them. Maybe 6-12 fish. I read that article and the link for tips for fishless cycle. I have no gravel or filter to borrow from anyone and I am scared to take gravel from pet store in case it has worms or something? I dont have any fish food yet and since I added quickstart I am not comfortable adding pure ammonia to my tank. I dont want to screw it up and overadd. PPM suggestions don't translate to me for gallons. I have no idea what ppm i would add or how many ml and whatnot. I thought the otc stuff works best. I was told by many that the quickstart is great for adding fish right away.
I have PH of 8.2 or 8.3 right now and I am not planning african cichlids. I was thinking community tank for both of the tanks this way I could swap back and forth if I had to.
What do you recommend ? Buy a dozen goldfish?

You can by a large bag of 100% Polyfill for around $7 at Michael's.

Here is a link with my 220g info... January 2013 TOTM: Rivercats' 220 gallon Planted Community - Aquarium Advice. The scaping has changed since this article and I've added pressurized CO2 but all the other info is still correct.

I trimmed some plants last night and cleaned off some gravel and removed some bubbles of decorations last night and today my tank is a little more cloudy than it was before. Is this a good thing? I raised my heater back up after lowering it from 82 to 76. I figure the higher better for bacteria growth. Other than conditioner and quick start i don't know where the bacteria will come from bc nothing else was put in.
Should I also put the bubbler on too?

its best not to mess with the water temperature too much i think, and i dont think a few degrees will make much difference to the speed of the bacteria growing. and answering your question of where the bacteria come from: they occur naturally and just, well... appear. it will take a few weeks for them to show up in any meaningful amount, best thing you can do is to give something for the bacteria to feed on, whether that be 1 or 2 small fish (and make sure you keep an eye on water quality) or just add a bit of fish food or a dead shrimp or something to provide the ammonia the bacteria feed off

ill add to my last post:
ive always done fish in cycles, it works fine if you take care of the fish's welfare but a lot of people dont agree with it. if you do decide to do it fish in, test for ammonia every day, you want to keep it under 0.5 mg/l. any more than that will be poisonous. it will most likely require a lot of water changes.

PPM is parts per million. If your determined to do a fish in cycle then don't mess with goldfish first. Depending on the size tank you have just get some hardy fish such as danio's and do a fish in cycle. I do not recommend just getting any type of fish and doing a fish in cycle as many don't tolerate them well. You need an API Master Test Kit so you can monitor ammonia and nitrites daily. Then you have to do a 50% WC anytime your ammonia or nitrites go above .25ppm on the test results. This article will help and needs to be followed.... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

Also bacteria grows faster in higher temps. It is also common in new tanks to get cloudy water which is generally a bacterial bloom. They usually clear up on their own in a few hours to several days. Just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom