new tank and PFS question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a new 75 gal tank and custom made stand and going to pick it up next weekend. I'm planning on using PFS for the substrate but unsure of how much to buy. I'm planning on stopping by the pool store tomorrow to pick up a filter for my swimming pool that I've already bought and been waiting on shipping. I figured while I'm there I'll pick up some of the PFS. I don't even know how it's sold... size wise. If anyone knows please tell me how much to buy. I think I heard that approx. 2" across the bottom is how much you want... correct? I also would like to experiment with some live plants. Is this subtrate ok for that? I wouldn't be adding any of the plants right away. I've also heard to be careful for any pockets of dangerous gasses forming inside the sand substrate... anyone have any experience with that or hear of that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

as neilanh mentioned, I would buy 2 50 lb bags, its should be plenty, just be sure to was it very very very good to make sure its super clean before you add it. Have you thought about that kinda fish your going to put in there yet?

I bought this tank for an upgrade tank. I currently have a 29 gal setup and will be transferring my fish that I have now over to the new tank. The fish I have now are...

6 Tiger Barbs
2 Albino Cory Cats
2 Albino Rainbow Sharks
1 Striped Raphael
1 Albino Chinese Algae Eater
4 Tetras (2 of one kind, 2 of another... can't remember names)
1 Black Ghost Knife

I've heard that I should rinse the sand very well inside a bucket until the water runs clear. I also hear it may take awhile. I just purchased an XP3 online and it's on it's way so I hope to have it about the same time I get the new tank. I'm planning on transferring some of my current decorations and artificial plants into the new tank and probably even squeeze out some of my filter material from my existing tank for the new setup to help it cycle faster. This sound right?

It took about 3/4 of a 50lb bag to do my 55 gallon the way I wanted it and I have plants. Two inches seems a little on the high side. I would say 1.5 inches tops, I think mine may be a little over an inch and my GBR's dig in it to spawn and have never reached the bottom. I guess it depends on how large the fish will be that you will put in there. I would say that your list is perfectly fine for a little over an inch of PFS.

For rinsing, I placed about a 1/4 full 5 gallon bucket under the spout in my bathtub and I swirled the sand well as it rinsed. I then dumped as much water out as I could and then rinsed again. I did this all three times with each 1/4 bucket full and I have had absolutely no problems with clouding the water.

Don't worry about gases building up in the sand. That applies more to finer grained sands which can hold a lot of gas by trapping it and not letting it rise. If you are worried, simply stir the sand once a week when you do PWC's or buy some MTS. The bottom dwellers listed above may stir it thoroughly enough so that you don't have to worry though.

I used one 50 lb. bag for my 55 gallon tank. Depending on how deep you want it, you will still need 2 bags most likely.

Back
Top Bottom