New tank equipment and stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cghill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, thanks for all the help you give to beginners.

I plan on getting a new tank in the near future, about 40 gallons. What will I require in the way of filtering and heating. I've read the forums and many people talk about 2 filters, undergravel and hanging, and I don't know if this is required. The main thing I want is for it to be as quiet as possible. Ease of cleaning would also be a plus, since I am a beginner. If you could give me some models so I could find them on ebay.

What will I need as far as heaters? will I need 2 of them? How many watts will they need to be? Some quality brand names would be nice so I can look for them on ebay also.

And finally, heres the fish I was looking into getting...

Zebra Danios - 7
Neon Tetra - 7
Angelfish - 1
Red Tailed Shark - 1
Male Betta - 1
Dojo Loach - 1
Cory Cats - 4
One other fish - ?

I would like some suggestions and opions on this group of fish. I've heard the red-tailed shark is a bad choice, but I really like them. However, if you guys think that is a really bad idea, just tell me cuz you guys know a lot more than I do. I would like some suggestion on active cory cats to get. I would also like some suggestions on the other fish category. I was thinking Tiger Barbs, but I've heard they nip at the angelfish's fins (I've been doing some research :D ) I'd like something bright, and very active. Basically I want a colorful, active and an easy to care for tank. Just tell me what you guys think about my choices.

I'm also looking into a planted tank - but no CO2 (I'm on a tight budget). So some suggestions as far as lighting and plants would be nice. I've seen some really neat planted tanks without CO2, can you give me some resources on how thats acheived.

Sorry this post has a lot of questions and is unorganized. Thanks again for all your help!!

Lessee...where to begin *grin*

One filter is enough for a 40; I do suggest a HOB type; no need to have a UGF as well, and HOBs are easier to maintain. 2 heaters give you some security if one fails, but I have always only used one on my tanks.

Your choices overall are pretty good, and about all you want to have in a 40g with a couple of caveats:

The angel may eat the neons; neons are prey for angels in the wild. A small angel added after the neons have been established might work.

The betta and the angel may wind up duking it out; they both see each other as rivals in some tanks due to the finnage.

The red tail, as long as its only one, should be fine.

Your fish choices are not good ones for cycling a tank; you may want to look into fishless cycling, or getting some filter media from a healthy mature tank to seed yours. Do you have a handle on the nitrogen cycle?

Thanks for your help

Yes, I do understand the nitrogen cycle. I thought that the zebra danios were pretty good to use at the beginning. I read somewhere that if you buy 2-3 danios that they should get the cycle started, and you can move up from there. Let me know if I was misled. Thanks.

Instead of barbs, try serpea tetras, they are red and black. As for heaters, look into Ebo Jager (I bought 4 of them on ebay and was quite happy with them. PM me if you want the name of the ebay store; although, you will run across many people selling ebo jagers :wink:). As for HOB filters, many people recommend Aqua Clear--I have one and like it. Penguin makes the bio wheels--I have two and like them also! I also use canister filters on my 29, 50 and 80 gal tanks. For a beginner, a HOB is probably your best bet. Happy bargain hunting!!

Whats the difference between a regular HOB filter and a Biowheel filter. I was looking at the Penguin 400, and it looked like a nice filter. I was also looking at the aquaclear 200 and 300. Which one would I need in a 40 gallon. Also would I be fine with either one of these filters or would you recommend the penguin over the aquaclear or vice versa?

The only difference is the bio wheel. Both filters allow for tons of beneficial bacteria to grow and I have found that both work quite well. I will say that it seems easier to keep my cats from drinking out of the tank with the AC :roll:.
As for which filter to get, look at the gph value. You want that value to be at least 6 times the gallons in your tank (more for very messy fish).

Will both filters cycle air into the tank, or will I need to get an pump or air stone. Sorry, I'm a complete newbie at this.

Its good to hear I won't have to worry about oxygen with the filter. Any comments or suggestions from anybody about my choice of fish for the tank?

Zebra Danios - 7
Neon Tetra - 7
Angelfish - 1
Red Tailed Shark - 1
Male Betta - 1
Dojo Loach - 1
Cory Cats - 4
One other fish - ?
I agree that the neons may end up as a snack to a larger fish. I'm also not sure about the betta. I tried a male betta with my community fish and that did not last. At a different time, I had a female betta and she was okay for a long while. Another note about neons, many people have been having problems (they are bred in a similar way to puppies in a puppy mill--resulting in ill fish :x). If you want to add some color, I suggest serpea tetras. Other fish--a small species of pleco (Rubber Lip, Bristle Nose, Clown or Pitbull). I own two RB and one BN~~you will not see them often, but they can clean!!
OH! The more cory cats the better--I've got 13 (4 different species) in the 50 gal. I just love bottom feeders :wink:

Back
Top Bottom