New tank first readings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank has been set up and planted for 3 days now. My api test kit just came through today so I’ve done my first set of test... I know it’s not ready yet but these are the readings:

Ammonia - 0.5
PH -8
Nitrite - 5
Nitrate - 160

Can someone help me understand what the readings mean is happening in the new tank.

Thanks all

Are you sure the nitrites are 160ppm? That is crazy high and pretty much unheard of 3 days into a new tank... Unless you were using semi-established media.

Generally in a planted tank you can plant from day 1, focus on getting the plants growing really well, then you can SLOWLY add some fish.

By the time you get the plants growing well, there should be enough bacteria present to support a small bioload.

I had nitrate and nitrite marked incorrect. Sorry. I’ve edited it

If those readings still seem high I’ll re-test. It’s my first time using this kit so could have made an error. :/

If those readings still seem high I’ll re-test. It’s my first time using this kit so could have made an error. :/

Make sure to shake bottle 2 of the NO3 kit for at least 1 minute as hard as you can and use IMMEDIATELY as it's not a solution it is a suspension of ingredients / reagents.

Done the test again. Shaking harder than last time
Nitrate - 10/20 ppm

So what do those readings say about my tank at the moment? I know I need more tests to compare.. but what’s my starting point like?

So what do those readings say about my tank at the moment? I know I need more tests to compare.. but what’s my starting point like?

You're right in the middle of the cycle. Dose a tiny bit of ammonia to keep things rolling along if you want.

If not just leave it be and wait out the cycle.

Brilliant :) so I’m waiting for ammonia to drop to 0 basically?

I second Z. I'd get the ammonia around 1-2 ppm.
When your ammonia and nitrites zero out then you're there.

What would you say to these results? I’m still learning to read these so help would be appreciated:)

IMG_0818.jpg

You aren't quite there yet. Nitrites and nitrates are high. Ammonia is on the low end...looks like .25. pH looks like 8.2 to 8.3. Personally, I'd do a 50% water change then dose more ammonia or fish food.... whatever you are using for ammonia. I'd get ammonia up to 2 ppm. You could also leave it alone for another week while you continue to add your ammonia and see where you are at.

Is the water change a necessity I am using fish food for the ammonia at the moment.

Not at the moment. Your nitrites and nitrates are up there but not ridiculously high.

So maybe add more fish food or maybe a piece of shrimp or fish? To increase the ammonia?

That should work. You can also dose pure ammonia that is found in hardware stores.

I’ll add a piece of fish and more fish food today and look for some pure ammonia tomorrow.

You guys are probably getting really annoyed with my constant questions about water levels.. really sorry. What would you say these levels are now reading? IMG_0819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom