New tank for my girlfriend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
My girlfriend wants to get a Fluval edge 6g tank and have a betta in it, and on aqadvisor it says she can have dwarf corys as well. I was going to do 4 corys and the 1 betta, was wondering though what is considered a dwarf cory? I was on Liveaquaria and was wondering if any of the corys on there are considered dwarf? Also on that site it says a tank size of 30g for all the corys. What do you guys think of the tank choice and about the corys? Thanks.

Also was just looking at the Aqueon Evolve 8 gallon and was wondering if that would be a good choice as well? Not sure about the filters on either of these though. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I believe a dwarf cory is it's own species. All the cories on live aquaria are "normal" sized, meaning they'll get to be about 2 in long or more.

I'd do a search for dwarf cory online, then see if you can find some on aquabid or the local fish shop

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Corrys like to be social so try to keep them in groups of 6 or more.
I'm more familiar with regular corrys but I don't think you could keep them in such a small tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

not sure on the corys but there aqueon evolves are pretty nice little tanks. i have the evolve 2 beside my bed setup as a pico saltwater tank and its pretty cool. People complain the pumps loud but as long as you dont have it touching any of the sides or the tank its not loud at all

It really depends on how the betta reacts to other fish. Pygmy corydoras could work but could also be harassed if you have an aggressive betta. Otocinclus cats would do better in a well established tank. If you want a bottom dweller, I'd say a nerite snail or amano shrimp would be a good option.

Thanks for all the info, what about the tank and the filters that are in those? They okay for a betta?

Panda cries are nice as mine are half the size as my bronze(or emerald) cories and the schwartzi cories....Ive seen panda cories only get inch and a haf to 2 inches at most.

The filter and tank would be ok for the betta. Are you planning on having live plants in the tank?

I've had Otos with a betta, they seemed to not notice each other. But yes they are more delicate, you need a tank thAt isn't too new, and very good and stable water conditions. Otos clean up better IME.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I agree that otos are great algae eaters but there's a risk involved. Most otos are wild caught and could have internal parasites that lead to the fish not eating.

Would the light in the Evolve 8 support live plants? I had a 20g before I moved with an LED light and it couldn't keep anything alive.

I'd be careful having a betta in an Edge. I've tried three times and they all hated it in there. Make sure you don't fill it up to the top so the betta can access air, and keep an eye on the filter output. I had no problem with having java ferns and a moss ball in the Edge, but I've never tried other, pickier plants in there. Good luck!

I'd be careful having a betta in an Edge. I've tried three times and they all hated it in there. Make sure you don't fill it up to the top so the betta can access air, and keep an eye on the filter output. I had no problem with having java ferns and a moss ball in the Edge, but I've never tried other, pickier plants in there. Good luck!

I think we are going with the Evolve 8, seems to be the better choice. But what do you mean when you say they hate it? Was it the current or something?

It's the fact that bettas like to breathe at the surface, yet the edge is filled up to the glass roof with only a small opening (and that opening has the filter return meaning more
Flow than they like)

I had a pearl gourami in an edge (emergency is the main tank) for a few hours. It freaked out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

There are three species of "dwarf Cory cats": hasbrosis, pygmaeus, and hastatus. The pygmaeus are going to be the most common and I've maintained a group of 6 in a fluval edge 6.6 no problem in the past, hasbrosis as well (not at the same time)

Back
Top Bottom