Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DirgeDevil Send a message via MSN to DirgeDevil
new tank, hasn't cycled, when should I expect 'peaks'?

I recently had to make an emergency move with some guppies from an infested tank to a 10 gal, I didn't have time to let the tank cycle through all the nitrite peaks ect. So I was wondering, when should I expect those so i can keep my fish safe. I set it up yesterday and the fish seem un-bothered by the sudden move and change in their surroundings. I plan on doing water tests once a week for ammonia, nitrate, and ph. should I test for anything else? And once again when can expect 'peaks' in the water?
p.s. This is the only tank these fish can be in, So I'm forced to put them through the water's cycling process... :/

Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
What are your current water parameters? How many fish are in the 10 gal tank? What are you doing to battle the infected tank and what was the issue on the infected tank?

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The current params are:
Ammonia:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.7
That's all I know, it was tap water with aqua safe added, and some salt.
There's about 17 1" fish in there, so i'm expecting the ammonia to rise quicker form it being overcrowded a bit.You can read about my infected tank here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=57066
I think the fish will not make it, nothings helping and i've had to put several to sleep from exploding eyes (wanted to end their suffering)
Old 07-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should test for ammonia and nitrite first. After those have peaked and fallen I would start testing for nitrate. I always cycle tanks with fish but I think adding 17 fish all at once to an uncycled 10 gallon is asking for trouble. I suggest you do daily water changes on this tank while cycling. I would also start doing daily water changes on your infested tank if you still have sick fish in there. Popeye is generally a sign of really bad water quality and unfortunately you are now setting this 10 gallon up to have poor water quality too. Your best bet would be to get rid of some of those fish.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's the difference between nitrite and nitrate, and I can't find a test kit for nitrite, only nitrate....
It wasn't popeye, the eye was still there, it just had fungus on it, and somehow it caved in... :/ I'm already getting rid of some fish by putting them to sleep. Do you want me to kill all of them or something?!? I'm trying to make this work because i DON'T want them to die, because most of them are leopard guppies I raised from birth. (it's not like i'm in a room full of cycled and ready tanks, I never planned on a fish evacuation)
So, I HAD to add all the fish, the fungus was spreading so fast...and that's why I made this thread, to find out the best way to keep it safe.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/bi...rogencycle.htm

As far as the best way to keep it safe......do daily pwc. Don't vacumn the gravel till the tank is fully cylcled. But you have tons of fish. Your tank would be overstocked even if it was cycled. So I'm not sure if there is a way to guarantee these fish will live. I didn't mean to offend you.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know it's overstocked, but I couldn't afford (mom wouldn't buy it) any thing bigger, and i would have to put it on the floor anyway. thanks for the link, I needed something like that.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #8

Make sure you are keeping up on water changes, especially until its cycled.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok thanks.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com