Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New Tank help

Hey everyone! Been a while since I was on here. I lost almost all my fish when I was without power in October/November due to a terrible storm. I want to redo my tank because I have had absolutely horrible algae issues since it happened. I have always wanted a Cobalt Blue Lobster (I know itís a crayfish: p) since I first saw a picture of one online and even mentioned it here a year ago. I am looking for some help.

As for substrate
I am thinking Black gravel from the local LFS (Petco) and some blue gravel accents. Letís say like 20-1 black to blue, with some glass that I have acquired form various Caribbean Island beaches. (I have already boiled the glass a few times and even used it in my last tank so I am going to Boil it again.)

As for Hiding places
I know the lobster needs a place to call home so I was thinking of something like a flowerpot upside-down with a hole cut in it. Does anyone know the easiest way to cut the whole without having to use a Dremmel?

As For plants:
I live Amazon Swords so those are a must. I also am looking for a groundcover as well I am thinking Dwarf Baby Tears but wondering if a ground cover is a good idea or will it get eaten?

I have a C02 system currently in place and I am wondering if I should continue to use it. I would like to avoid it if possible but hey if itís needed for the plants so be it. I am a little worried about the ph tho and the algae. I will probably add a few Ottos to help keep things clean and the Lobster will help with food that hits the bottom. I am a fan of smallish fish like neon tetra, etc. What would go well with the lobster and not be eaten by it. Also would a Pictus be a bad idea as well since I enjoy them too?
I also have a 30 gallon tank with 65 watts of light. It is in the correct spectrum as I purchased it for specifically growing plants.

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know we arent really supposed to bump here but id like to get this started on Thursday so any help would he appreciated. I looked a bit but there wasn't much about the lobster and groundcover.

Also not sure if gravel is best if they like to dig

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com