New tank help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilikemoneygreen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone again, its been a year and i think i need some advice...
After posting in this forum last year i bought a 100ish gal tank and move it into my garage. it has sat in their for a good part of the year. Well, i just recently bought the top for the tank and other equipment for it and its all up and running now (about time i know). Three months ago i put 2 more u4 filters in the older tank and got the bio all right in them. So basically i have had the filters running with the fish for three months before i put them into the new tank. Day before yesterday was when i set up the new tank and filled it from our well water. I waited a day, then put my 2 koi and pleco in it. The only new thing in the new tank is the tank itself and the water which is halfish old with half new. Decorations and everything are from old tank, also i scrubbed the new tank like crazy.
1. )Getting to the advice part, I figured my fish would be crazy happy to have basically double the room they had before, but my both the koi seem to be hanging around one of the filters at the bottom of the tank. almost in the corner. every once and a while they come out and swim but not much. They were much more active when i first put them into the tank. This is the third night of extreme shyness.

2.) Today i seem to be seeing a lot of round white dots in the tank. A lot of them are in the filters. It seems crazy to me that id somehow have an infestation of anything, as i really scrubbed the tank before hand and it sat completely dry and almost hot in the arizona sun in a garage. They are one mm and look round and white. They dont seem grouped, and are spread in the tank. Kinda sticky. Lots are broke. I popped one with my finger and it seemed liquidy. No snails or anything.

3.) for the past month my pleco seems to have developed a skin thing. Im not sure how to describe it so ill post a picture in a min.

**** Sorry for limited pleco pics but hes really shy. As soon as i started snapping pics he swam to his hideout. And the pics of the white dot things could be better but you can see it well on the top left of the filter. You can also see them inside the filter. look in those lines.

Attachments

• IMG_20130126_033606.jpg
    IMG_20130126_033606.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20130126_033658.jpg
    IMG_20130126_033658.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20130126_033727.jpg
    IMG_20130126_033727.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20130126_033816.jpg
    IMG_20130126_033816.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 69
Nice you could go BIGGER! Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, Ph? I know you ran the filter on the old tank but sometimes there's still a cycle or at least a mini cycle. The little round things look like eggs of some kind but I have no clue what.

The water is good on everything but total alkalinity (KH). The strips are rather hard to distinguish between ideal and high but my guess is its high. To this though, my fish have been living with that their whole life, so its not a sudden change. The only things i do and have done for three years now to the H2O are add some stress coat and mix in some PH 7.0 water stuff that makes it 7.0 because my well has some very high ph (so high the test kit drip stuff goes to max right away when test tube is completely full, which is insane).
And eggs of something... hmm.. kinda weird to have random eggs in. Should i put my fish back in old tank or do you think the koi will eat whatever hatches? im guessing a bug of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom