New Tank Idea #2: Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, Cichlids seem to be a one way trip that we have to do all or nothing. What are the general thoughts on a Discus community tank? About 60 to 65 gallons. Thinking 3 to 5 discus and... You all fill in the rest.

5 Discus with nothing else is my suggestion

Wow... I'm glad I asked or I would have been in trouble. I really thought I could get about 3 discus in and have room for a couple of schools and some bottom-dwellers in there. How big will the discus get?

I should have a lot of room for other fish with 3 to 5 discus in 65 gallons shouldn't I?

It's not so much the room it's the fact that discus require very high temperature, are slow eaters and are very skittish with fast moving fish. In addition being round and flat plecos can take a liking to them.

There really is a very limited type of fish that you can safely mix with discus

I see. Well, I would love suggestions for a nice variety of size and color for a 65 gallon. I'm not trying to pack it, but would rather have more small tan few big. Just thought a few the size of a discus would look with several small guys.

IMO I would do 5 discus, 10-15 neon/cardinal tetra... Maybe 1 ram.

5 may be pushing it but that's like a good number for them to be in

IMO I would do 5 discus, 10-15 neon/cardinal tetra... Maybe 1 ram.

5 may be pushing it but that's like a good number for them to be in

You would probably need an upgrade with 5 b/c it's only 3ft long I think

Unfortunately, 3' is my limit as far as length. I'm seriously considering going cichlid, but haven't decided for sure yet. That's pretty much a 1 way street. I'd like to do something that gives me a lot of options. I figured a 60 to 65 gallon tank would do that for sure.

Back
Top Bottom