New Tank just looking for opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alx681

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I have recently started my 29 gallon fresh water aquarium. At first I was thinking of doing a discus tank but the discus breeder told me that 29 gallon is not ideal for discus.
So after that I just went to my local fish store once a week and bought a fish her or there.
Anyway now I have 9 fish total,
3 danios ( which my wife had in a fish bowl)
2 clown loaches
2 GBR's
1 butterfly high fin pleco
1 ruby scat
Had no problems so far with this lot.

Can I add more fish or this is maximum capacity for my tank.
And what fish would you recommend?

Here is the tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426108803.150250.jpg

Also thanks to all who contribute to this site, it's been my go to place for info about fish and aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Take the loaches back they will get way to big for your tank.

Take the loaches back they will get way to big for your tank.

+1, clown loaches get much too big. Definitely take them back, and check out other types of loaches. Maybe khuli or dojos. Check their needs out and see if they would work with the size tank and tank mates you have. Oh, and I think that danios prefer larger groups.

None of those fish will be happy at all.

Danios should be in groups of at least 7.
Clown loaches get over 12 inches long.
German blue rams are very sensitive and should be in an established tank.
Butterfly plecos get get to about 15 inches long.
Ruby scats are brackish fish and grow to 10 inches long.

I recommend getting more danios (what kind of danio are they?), and then take back all of those other fish before they die or get way too big for that tank.

If you want to become a responsible fish keeper then you need to research the fish you are buying. I don't mean to be rude or mean or anything but you have to research a fish you want, and then look for that fish in specific. Not just go to the store and buy something that looks cool. LiveAquaria.com is a great website for finding cool and unique fish species.

Thanks guys for the tips. I will take the loaches back. Even though they are the fish i enjoy the most, so playful.

would corys be a good replacement for the loaches?

Also to the poster above, the danios I have, are 3 neon danios that my wife had in a fish bowl. I used them like starter fish to get the cycle going. Danios are not something that I really want in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom