New tank looking for a filter upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new 37gal tall tank yesterday and I am running a aquaclear 50 I had running on a 20 gal tank to seed it. I was thinking about just buying another aquaclear and running one on each side, but I am leaning more towards getting a cannister filter. I like to overstock my tank and keep live plants so can anyone recommend a cannister filter that will over filter my tank without blowing a hole in the glass. Thanks in advance

I'm not positive about the XP2, but the XP3 comes with a plastic valve in the piping that allows you to close down the flow on the outlet.

I agree, the XP3 has multiple options that come with it. A powerhead type output with directable flow, or a spraybar, and either option can utilize a flow control valve.

I have eheim (bit expensive) and tetratec canisters. Eheim are the best but for half the price the tetratec are realy good. I have both over 3 years now without a prob. You can adjust outflow as much as you want with either. I would recommend you change the filter media in the tetra though. Good luck

Get the XP3; I have twp XP3's and an XP4 and have been very sattisfied with them. It's overkill, but like was said previously, you can adjust the flow rate. You can then use it to help justify buying an even larger tank (put the AC50 in that tiny 37G tank and move the XP3 to your new xxGallon).

BTW - Don't waste your seeding effort; just put the AC50 sponge in the XP3. I would buy some Matrix (bio-media) and pour it over the sponge in one of the XP3 media baskets. It won't be long before the bacteria spreads to the Matrix.

I've got an Eheim...and it rocks! The output comes with a spraybar but you can set it up as you'd like... I've got the end of my spraybar off so the spray isn't so forceful

Back
Top Bottom