New tank, lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfgm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
TL;DR :
1.) Would you suggest Tiger barbs, Neon Tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras in a 30g iwagumi style planted tank? (similar to this http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/large/4d147825521fe.jpg)

2.) what would be the absolute best cleanup crew? (Shrimp, Clams, Snails, Crayfish) species specific pls.

3.) What would be the most ideal filtration and lighting setup for this tank with Java Moss carpet, and some type of small grass plant? (new to aquascaping).

--------

*For those of you who require more information*

My son and I are putting together a fish tank and although I've had plenty as a child they were always cheap 5 gallon or smaller tanks. however I want this tank to be different especially for my son.

So after days of research I've decided we are going with a 30 gallon iwagumi style planted tank. Something similar to this http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/large/4d147825521fe.jpg

We definitely want Tiger Barbs, Neon Tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras. I want the Barbs to be the main attraction so I was thinking 7-10 would be good, but how many Tetras and Rasboras should I get?

also a primary concern of mine is a VERY good clean up crew. I am very particular about the water conditions, and health of my fish. Although I plan to do the manual maintenance with love and devotion. I would still like to know what the very best cleanup crew would be. Please be species specific and offer a suggested amount.

I was thinking a LOT of Ghost Shrimp, and Freshwater clams. will either bother my Java Moss carpet? I'm very open to cleanup crew suggestions. I want whatever combination will help keep my tank the cleanest. I thought snails too, but wouldn't they just feed on the moss and not algae?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my wall of text. I just have a deep appreciation for these creatures, and I want my son to enjoy them to their fullest (healthiest) extent!

Hi welcome to AA. Well I like rasboras and find them fairly tough. Neon tetras I find difficult to keep and tiger barbs look too nippy in the shop for me.

Stay away from neons I've bought 10 in two sets of 5. 2 died in the bag before they even got in the tank all the rest except one died in the next few days. The one is still going surprisingly. Harlequins are good and are comparable with a lot of fish. Tigers seem good as long as you only have short fined fish

Sent from peliper

Back
Top Bottom