new tank mate...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10g with 5 danios and 1 platy
i am thinking of adding something, any suggestions?
i want something with a bit of colour, as the danios are quite plain, so at the moment the red platy is the only thing injecting colour!
any thoughts welcome

If you want to change the colour dynamics I wouldn't add more fish as you are already nearly at capacity. I would swap out two of the danios and consider a couple of colourful fish...rummynose tetra, other platys or perhaps a couple of male guppies.

yeah, i know it is unfortunate that i am nearly at capacity with the danios isnt it? but i don't really have anywhere to get rid of them, so i dont know if that is an option...

someone would take them. Your danios are cramped already.

Or consider getting a 20 long.

Alot of fish stores will take your fish. Most will not give you any money or credit for them, but they will not go to waste to be sure. If they stock a similar fish they will resell it or adopt it out. I have made friends with a couple of the employees at my lfs and sometimes they adopt fish that I have happily for their own tanks.

Gourmi's can be a bad idea i have seen them go crazy and nearly kill one of my platys. Platys do have a lot of color but they breed like crazy so getting more than one you have to be able to either take care of the fry or let them die.

ok, i will definitely consider re-homing the danios.
however, if i decide not to does anyone have any other suggestions other than dwarf gourami?

ok, i will definitely consider re-homing the danios.
however, if i decide not to does anyone have any other suggestions other than dwarf gourami?

With the fish you currently have you could not keep a dwarf gourami in a 10g with them. The gourami would likely kill them in that set up as well as become very stressed.

I would consider some fancy male guppies. They are very colourful and not alot on the bioload. Anything bigger and you would have to rehome more than the danios. Sorry to say, but overstocking leads to stress and sickness. I doubt that will be much fun.

With the fish you currently have you could not keep a dwarf gourami in a 10g with them. The gourami would likely kill them in that set up as well as become very stressed.

Finally someone kinda agrees with me. for color you could try a female beta.

mmm, thanks very much, i have done some research and i am agreeing with not going for a dwarf gourami, as it won't seem to be compatible.
i think male guppies may be the way forward!
thanks kaiofcanada

after your advice i have successfully re-homed the danios in my 20g long, and there are now 2 platies and some male guppies in my 10g, so i am very happy!
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom