new tank! need help with undergravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this free tank, it has a plastic grid shape at the bottom I'm assuming is an undergravel filter, do I have it set up correctly? No airstone, just the tube down there.. its approx. 3 gal. Other than some cherries or crystals that I want in here, who else can go in? since its a circular shape, is there room for just a betta? Also,how reliable is this filter type?

Cool, so far I've not had betta shrimp issues, but id be putting my bred cherries into their, so no huge loss.. anything other than a betta? And how good are undergravel filters?

On most forums you would think even mentioning UG filters is similar to fish torture. However, I'm old school... or just plain old... and, back in the day, it was the filtration of choice. I've had several tanks using them exclusively and they work great as long as you take and use a gravel suction device and clean the gravel once every month or two.

That said, they require thicker substrate compared to a non UG filter tank. The bacteria survive in the substrate and too little won't give them area to thrive. I keep 3 inches, but anything more than 2 to 2.5 inches would probable be sufficient.

You will need, at minimum, an air-stone in the bottom of the tube to create a draft or pull to cycle the water through the substrate and up the tube. Better would be using a power-head. I have a 55 gal bow-front and I use two 200 gallon power-heads to pull a lot of water through.

All that said, 3 gallons is a pretty small tank and it will take very little to upset the balance of that small of volume. I would look at it as a glorified fish bowl. An air-stone would probably be all you need for the draft tube. Any power-head would be overwhelming in a tank that small. Since an air-stone can't create the draft a power-head does, I would stay toward the thin side of the substrate depth to make sure water cycling through the substrate occurs.

As for how many and what kind of fish, I would compute your surface area and go by that. If it's a circle, take the radius times pi (3.14). You aren't going to have room for much.

I have an air tube, but no stone on it..would that help the water get pulled up? Also, I have maybe an inch or 2, and I'm experenced with tanks and cycling, should I put any media in there? Or is the gravel all I need? I was going to keep a weekly gravel pwc, and a twice a week small pwc only. I was thinkin a betta, and some shrimp, but well figure that out I guess when I'm cycled...

I have an air tube, but no stone on it..would that help the water get pulled up?
Yes. It's mandatory. What you probably have is a draft tube. The air tube would be smaller and deliver the air to the air stone that should be positioned at the bottom of the draft tube. The bubbles "pull" the water up with it as they rise in the draft tube, sucking water from under the plate, which cycles the tank water through the substrate and back up the draft tube.

Also, I have maybe an inch or 2, and I'm experienced with tanks and cycling, should I put any media in there? Or is the gravel all I need?
Make sure it is at least an inch. An inch and a half to 2 would be better. The gravel is all you need, but you will go through a tank cycle as the bacteria grows in the substrate. If you have some bacteria, you can put it in a fine mesh (pantyhose works great) and just hang it in your tank to get things started.

I was going to keep a weekly gravel pwc, and a twice a week small pwc only. I was thinkin a betta, and some shrimp, but well figure that out I guess when I'm cycled...
You don't want to clean the gravel too much. You don't want to get rid of the bacteria. The gravel cleaning is mainly to get rid of fish waste and any extra deteriorating food.

In my experience with an under gravel filter, the air stone and an appropriate sized pump will be plenty for the 3 gallon... The air itself "pushes" the water up the draft tube, the bigger the surface area of bubbles the higher the flow... The more powerful the air pump and finer the air stone, the more bubble surface area you get to move water... in my 10 gallon I had 2 draft tubes and 2 stones ganged together from one more powerful pump. I always confirmed movement by seeing if food or plant matter gets "sucked" down to the bottom... It's not fast, but can be seen as quicker than falling... also, the faster the bubbles move away from the draft tube at the top, the more water is being pumped up the tube.

Ok.. ill try that, I'm going to add a second airstone from a seperate airpump in the same tube tomorow morning, and see if I can really up the power..
I was also thinking about an underwater filter of some sort...sticking it iin the draft tube, and having it push water into instead of out of the tube

Scratch that! 1 to 5 gal filter, airstone powered, so the o2 levels are set lol. I. Have it next to my other 10 gal planted. The light hangs over..I'm going to try my java moss and fern in tthere (I have wayy too many anyways lol)

Be careful about the direction of flow in the draft tube. Either an air stone or power head pulling the liquid up, or you can run it reverse with a powerhead pushing it down and backwards through the gravel. But, don't run an air stone with a reverse power head.

Back
Top Bottom