New tank, new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, I am upgrading from my 29 gallon to a 75 in a few weeks

I have 5 angels, from small to medium, 4 cories, 2 raphael cats, 1 small, one large, 1 otto 2 african butterflys

I would like to add more fish, but what type? the tank will be decorated with driftwood and fake plants, and probably black tahitian moon sand...other option is pool filter sand

I would like to have a small er predator, like a senegalus bichir, I know that the cories would have to be removed. or perhaps a few other catfish, like pictus ? I dont know

I really dont want too much more in the way of community fish, maybe another angel, and I do plan on getting a gold nugget pleco

guess I am looking for something larger than the angels will be, active enough to see him every day at least once, but maybe not all the time, and just, impressive basically.

just throw out some ideas. thanks

Not familiar with the birchir, pictus cats would be good as long as the cories are not in there. Pictus will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths. A note on the gold nugget pleco, they can be terribly vicious to other plecos. Beware of the raphaels. Are yours the striped raphaels? I have a gold nugget pleco and I never see the little guy! Talk about nocturnal! I turn out the lights and wait then use a flashlight and he still takes off and hides.

There are a number of catfish that I find interesting. Cuckoo catfish are beautiful too.

well, the polypterus will eat ANYTHING that can fit in it mouth ... or anything that it think can fit in its mouth.

you need to have larger species of fish for bottom dwellers (rafael catfish will work .. or most doradiidae species)

The bicher may also eat your angels. Bichers basically need to have a preditory tank setup ... that way things will not go missing.

You'd also have to part with the otto, if you want a bichir, pictus cat, or other predatory fish.
A problem that could happen is the angels being very aggressive with any new fishes introduced.

I know you want recommendations for larger fish but I do have to add here that otos like to be in groups so I would add a few more of those first of all (If you are planning on keeping him)

the otto I forgot to mention will prolly go as well, well he willstay in the 29 wi ththe cories I only had him in there because of a large brown algae buildup on the back galss in teh tank. after I put him in, it disapeared in 3 days, he gre a good bittoo think that has to do with him going int oa tank almsot 3 times the size of his old home.

I never see my raphaels, I plan on adding moonlight toteh 75 as well as about 4 times the lighting I have over my 29 gallon.

I had a small senegalus a while back, he died from bacteria/fungus due to me not QTing some feeders for him. He never messed with myangels, at least never saw him do it, and they never had any fin damage.

Here are some stuff Iwas looking at

3 Bala sharks. would be almost 2-3 times the size of the angels, dont know if they would hassel the angels though? I know, not predatory, but they kinda look it does anyone have some pics of them full grown? dont they grow alot fuller in teh belly?

3 needle nose gars. would have to place the ABF's in the 29 permanently, would the needle nose gars (false gars, hujeta's) mess with the angels? angels are only at surface during feeding times. They need some good current right? Wold that be bad for the angels?

How agressive are black sharks?

Won't bala sharks outgrow even a 75 gallon? Not sure about the others you listed. Angels generally don't like a lot of current.

everythig says max 10 inches, best in groups of 3 or more. would give them almost 5 times their body length in swimming room across, which would take them a long time to grow to huh?

Bala's can get to 13" but they are slow growers and they'd only be that size near the end of their life.

Back
Top Bottom