New Tank No Fish Strange Fuzz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Raptor1967

Ok i am new to this hobby and am therefore taking it very slowly. I have a fifteen gallon tropical tank that I am setting up for my daughters room. I have been running it for about four days with the sand the coral rock. Two days ago i added an ornament from the goldfish tank that I thought would help get the tank cycling. Today there is a strange white fuzz growing on the ornaments from the goldfish tank. It is actually pretty thick in some places. I don't have my testing kit yet I will get those after the holiday so I cant tell you much about the water. but I have been keeping the tank at a steady 75 degrees. I have also put in 8 mils of cycle and 8 mils of aqua plus water conditioner. I realize this is probably tuff to answer without more info but any help would be appreciated.

That fuzz has grown on my ornaments too, remove it from tank, soak it and reinsert it into the tank. Cycle will not help your tank cycle at all IMO. If you have no fish, add ammonia to the tank to get it cycling, you can use a shrimp too if you prefer. Here is a link to fishless cycling. Welcome to AA!

I was actually considering adding a pleco that I have in the other tank to get the process started then I noticed the fuzz. Do you think the pleco will take care of it and if not what should I soak it in.

I have also now noticed a fine hair growing on the glass it appears to have spread across a large portion of the tank. should I empty the tank and start again from the beginning ?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I soaked mine in hot water and rinsed it out well. My pleco wouldn't touch it LOL. Don't empty it and start over, that is algae, it can form on new tanks. Keep the lights out if you haven't. Once your cycle is completed you can worry about the glass being totally clean. It is easy to scrub off I assume? As soon as you are able to get a test kit, keep adding the pure ammonia to keep the levels at about 4ppm. Unfortunately cycle won't help at all. AFAIK one product that does help the cycle is Bio Spira, I can't purchase it here, only online so I always go with the ammonia. Now if you take some filter media from your goldie tank, and put it into the new tank filter, that will help the process along.

Thanks For the info I really appretiate it. I going out now to get a test kit so I can get this thing setup. I pulled the ornaments as you suggested and have cleaned them off. now I have just gotta wait untill the tank starts cycling. I think I am going to stock it with tetra's as the lighting setup I have will make them look really cool.

Tetras are very nice looking and there are several options of tetras that you can choose from. Neons and cardinals are the brightest IMO, and you will have to have good water conditions as they can be sensitive to water parameters. Good luck and keep us posted on your cycle and once you get fish, pics are always appreciated! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom