new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tunevec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a 29 gal FW tank about 3 weeks ago. I tested the water last Friday (3-18) and also had the store test the water. Both tests said that the nitrates, nitrites, hardness, ph, etc were good. The store test showed some amonia though. The store employee told me it was ok to add a few fish at this time, so I added 3 fancy guppies. Less than 4 days later, 2 of the 3 are dead. Watching them in the tank, they seemed to have problems swimming right side up. Their heads would be @ the top of the tank & they would sink straight down until their tails touched the rocks, then they would bolt back up to the surface to repeat again. Any advice? Thanks

tunevec said:
I set up a 29 gal FW tank about 3 weeks ago. I tested the water last Friday (3-18) and also had the store test the water. Both tests said that the nitrates, nitrites, hardness, ph, etc were good. The store test showed some amonia though. The store employee told me it was ok to add a few fish at this time, so I added 3 fancy guppies. Less than 4 days later, 2 of the 3 are dead. Watching them in the tank, they seemed to have problems swimming right side up. Their heads would be @ the top of the tank & they would sink straight down until their tails touched the rocks, then they would bolt back up to the surface to repeat again. Any advice? Thanks

How are you or your lfs testing your water? Dip strips are notoriously inaccurate, so a liquid test kit (API FW test kit is what I use) will be a better choice in the long run.

It could be a low 02 or ammo in the water. Your best defense is a partial water change (PWC) of 25% once or even twice day until they start behaving normal.

What kind of filter do you have? If you bought a kit, sometimes they're under filtered.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I don't think your tank is cycled. Don't get any more fish and read the cycling links in my signature.

The water was tested with dip strips. The filter is a tetra filter for a 25 to 40 gal tank. I just bought an API FW test kit but have not been able to test water with it yet! I will test water and do the pwc! Thanks for the help.

tunevec said:
The water was tested with dip strips. The filter is a tetra filter for a 25 to 40 gal tank. I just bought an API FW test kit but have not been able to test water with it yet! I will test water and do the pwc! Thanks for the help.

Two good things to do.

As bigjim said, read up on "cycling with fish". IMO you're in a bit of a tough situation, not enough fish for an adequate bio load to feed the bacteria and you don't want to dose with raw ammo, so if it were me I'd over feed them a little for now (not a good practice later on) as the uneaten food will decay and feed the bacteria.

Testing daily and PWC's are going to get you thru this.

I just left my. LPS & the lady there said I need to use a bottle of bacteria culture in my tank. Is this good advice or not?

tunevec said:
I just left my. LPS & the lady there said I need to use a bottle of bacteria culture in my tank. Is this good advice or not?

Normally not. They need water and food to survive. If they have the water part, they will quickly die from lack of food. So basically it's a bottle of dead bacteria.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

tunevec said:

I've used them in the past, but they're questionable at best. If it's been running and if you are cycled (?), then you already have bacteria in your tank.

IMO, extra food and don't vacuum the gravel during PWC's (for now) so you continue to feed the bacteria and you'll be better off.

Whatever is throwing your fish off is another issue yet to be properly diagnosed.

Back
Top Bottom