New Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumrswim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everybody,

First off, I have never seen a more helpful internet forum before. I've been browsing posts for some time before registering and posting my own question, and I'm amazed at how quick and detailed the advice is. What a great forum.

I just have a couple questions, but first a very quick background. I've set up my tank and had the water filtering for a week now. I read at an earlier post about cloudy water-- that's what has recently happened to mine. Went from crystal clear to a bit cloudy. Apparently this is normal for a new tank and it should clear up. The water has tested just fine.

I'm going away this weekend so I will wait another week or so to buy fish. That will give it two weeks of cycling without fish. I am still undecided on what to put in there, but am leaning towards community fish at this time. Although I think that 3-5 fish may be ideal (easier to keep clean???).

Okay, a couple questions. First, I bought some plants for the tank. How often do they need to be watered?

Just kidding!

Ok, really: I have a flourescent light above the tank. I leave for work in the morning at 5:30 am and usually do not return until about 6:00 pm or later. Without real plants in the tank at this time, is the light necessary for the fish? Does it matter? I assume that when I'm home I'll have the light on, but during the day when I am gone, is it better for the fish to leave it on even when I am not there to see them?

Also, the guy at the fish store said that using my hand is the best way to put the new fish in the tank. Is this true? :eek: I suppose putting as little water as possible from the fish store bag is ideal, but I'm not ready to start "picking up" fish. I had planned on adding the fish right from the bag. Any advice?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I am ready to actually put fish in the tank. Thanks!

Lenny

Also, the guy at the fish store said that using my hand is the best way to put the new fish in the tank.

Shoot him..It removes the slime protective coat that fish have..this should NEVER be done.
float the bag, and slowly fill it 1/2 and 1/2 with tank water once the temp is right..
this will help relieve any shock for the change of environment.

is the light necessary for the fish?
IMO Yes. Fish have biological clocks to..
It also helps bacteria grow, and Algae for that matter..

HTH

and G'day from AA :)

you can net your fish out of the bag and into the water.. thats what i always do, after accimilating them first of course, but i don't add the fish store water to my water.

Also, how are you cycling your tank without fish? what im saying is, what are you using to create ammonia to establish a good biological filter?

How big is your tank? That would help us help you pick some cool fishies.

Thanks for the help. I have a 36 gal long tank.
Shoot him..It removes the slime protective coat that fish have..this should NEVER be done.
I'm heading down to the store right now with my shotgun. Thanks for the advice. :lol:

how are you cycling your tank without fish? what im saying is, what are you using to create ammonia to establish a good biological filter?

I suppose I am not cycling my tank in that sense. Just running the water through the filter for two weeks and letting it establish itself prior to adding the fish. I guess that is not really cycling.

Thanks from sunny Southern Cali!

Here's a couple of articles that might help you out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I know the second article is written for a SW tank, but the fishless cycling works in FW as well. This is a much safer way to cycle your tank than to use fish. Or, do you have any friends that have established tanks, that you trust not to bring diseases to your tank? If so, you can use a handful of gravel or some old filter media in your own tank while adding fish, and this will drastically speed up the cycle.

36 gallons is a good size, you will have lots of options for what you can keep. Oh, and WELCOME to AA!!!!! :smilecolros:

Thanks for the great advice! No friends to speak of here. I mean, with fish tanks. Could be a good pickup line at a bar, though. "Could I dip into your aquarium?" 8) Kidding.

sumrswim said:
I suppose I am not cycling my tank in that sense. Just running the water through the filter for two weeks and letting it establish itself prior to adding the fish. I guess that is not really cycling.

So basically the tank isn't cycling, its just setup with a filter running.

You really cannot add fish easily until the tank is cycled, and fishless cycling is the way to go. Its fool proof, meaning that you won't harm a single fish in the process, because the tank is empty.

Just echoing what others have said. Running the tank for two weeks empty doesn't accomplish anything in terms of cycling or making your water safer for fish. You need to add ammonia to get the cycle going. Glad you came here and got feedback before adding your fish!

Welcome to AA!

one of the most importing aspects of aquariums is the nitrogen cycle. Read this article... it will really help you understand it, becuase not only do you have to cycle the tank before you add your fish, (or with fish) but sometimes problems in the aquarium can be linked ot the nitrogen cycle and the biological filter:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Also, this is a saltwater article, but its a good article on fishless cycling:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

ha ha ha, severum.. i didn't realize you posted the same articles. LOL :lol:

Thanks for your help, everybody. I went to the lfs this evening to pick up a water test kit (I had previously brought a sample in to get tested). If I am going to do this fishless cycling, I'll need to check regularly. I asked the clerk about advice on how to cycle, and she claimed that it was not necessary. As long as I put the water conditioner (dechlorinator, nitrate removal, etc.) in the water and kept it a week, she said, it would be fine for the fish.

I've read the articles you all recommended and surfed through previous posts on the same topic. I tried to explain to her the little I knew (and admitted as such), and she said it wasn't necessary.

Of course, I'm going to follow the advice and guidance of this forum and the links you provided. I just found it interesting, although not necessarily surprising. I'm just a novice but trying to learn the best I can before I actually put the fish into their new home.

Thanks everybody. I'll keep you posted.

That is a wise choice sumrswim. I put together a 55G tank for my wife with out prior knowledge and received the same advice from our local pet store. 90% of my fish have survived and the tank is just finishing up the "cycle". I tested the water every day for almost a month. First the ammonia spiked and then the nitrites. The nitrite spike did in 2 of my bumble bee cichlids. The rest were suffering, even though I did regular water changes up to 60%. Some I did twice a day. Save your self the pain and the fish the suffering. You might look into the use of "Bio Spira" It is hard to find at a lfs, but can be found on the net and from what I have read here on the forum will help start up the necessary bacteria for your tank with out the lengthy wait for a natural progression. Do a search on the topic and see if it interests you.

DeFeKt said:
Also, the guy at the fish store said that using my hand is the best way to put the new fish in the tank.

float the bag, and slowly fill it 1/2 and 1/2 with tank water once the temp is right..
this will help relieve any shock for the change of environment.

is the light necessary for the fish?
IMO Yes. Fish have biological clocks to..
It also helps bacteria grow, and Algae for that matter..

HTH

and G'day from AA :)

G'day! I simply had to say hi to a fellow Aussie form Perth. I'm from Perth too!...however I kinda stuffed my profile thingy so now it says I'm from somewhere in America, doh. Slight missundersanding there from me.
Anyways, do you know how I can change this?
Well...I've gotta go do a a water change now...hoo a roo.

Ry.

Back
Top Bottom